Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

After I jumped my car due to dead battery, radio says

Customer Question
"CODE". But when I try...
After I jumped my car due to dead battery, radio says "CODE". But when I try to put the code in, as soon as I push the very first button, it reads "ERROR". It won't allow me to even attempt to put in the code.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Acura
1/29/2016
Mechanic for Acura: justinsbg, Acura Mechanic replied 2 years ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

What I tell customers to do first is perform the battery cable reset procedure with this issue. This typically gets it working again. Before performing this procedure you need to make sure the battery is in good condition. Here's the procedure:

1). Disconnect both battery cables (positive first, and then negative)

2). Use a jumper wire to connect both battery cables together.

3). Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and leave it for approximately 15 minutes.

4). Once that time has passed turn the ignition switch back OFF and then reconnect the battery cables (positive first and then negative).

See if that makes the radio able to receive the code. If not let me know and we'l continue.

You can go ahead and rate me positive;y. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for positing to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!

Hi there, any news?

I don't understand step. Please be more specific.

What exactly would you like me to elaborate on?

What EXACTLY do you mean by a jumper wire? Do you mean jumper cables? If so jumper cables have 4 clamps. Which of the 4 should I be using to attach to the battery cables. What's the point of connecting a jumper wire to the cables? And why am I turning the ignition switch to the on position if the battery is not connected?

Sure thing. I can explain. So you basically need a straight wire to connect the battery cables. Don't use jumper cables. When I say a jumper wire I'm referring to a single wire that will connect one battery cable to the other making a straight connection. On virtually all the computers on the car including gauge modules, radios, and pretty much any other electronics on the vehicle there are capacitors. These capacitors retain power on the computers even if the battery is disconnected. When you connect the battery cables together and then turn the ignition switch ON this will rapidly drain what ever retained power there is on the car's electronics. This sort of reboots everything. Similar to restarting your desktop or laptop computer when there's an issue. I hope that is explained better for you. And remember, you have to remove the cables from the battery before connecting them together.

Please remember to rate me positively so I get credited for my time and advice. Thanks.

It turns out my wife was using the wrong code number. When I put in the correct number, the radio turned on with no problem. She committed to the $5.00 payment, but we were charged $22.00. Your site explains that she'd only be charged if your suggestion was what fixed the problem. How can we recoup that $22.00?

I will refer you to customer refunds. Unless you intend on rating me positively, please do not rate. Thanks