justinsbg
justinsbg, Acura Mechanic
Experience:  I have 10 years of automotive experience, an associates degree, and ASE certifications.
27674784

I have a 1998 Acura CL 2.3 that has a cruise control issue.

Customer Question

I have the Acura repair manual for car and have checked everything per the cruise control diagnosis and changed the control unit as everything else checked ok. Should I be looking at the VSS now or perhaps something else that would not be in the repair manual?
Thanks, Mark
Category: Acura
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I service Honda/Acura vehicles 5 days a week so I know the brand very well. The most common thing I see when it comes to faulty cruise control is a failed brake light switch. First, have someone stand behind the vehicle to check if you have brake lights while pressing the brake pedal. If the brake lights work this typically means the brake switch is good. The next most common thing would be a faulty cable reel. Check to make sure the horn works first. This is one way to check it. If the horn works this doesn't mean the reel is good, it's just one way to check it. Report back after you've checked those items.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I see you missed the part in my question that I stated I followed the repair manual. Checking brake lights and fuses is all part of that. I'll send you a copy of it if you like. I am a certified aircraft mechanic and can follow directions. I was looking for some experience from outside the manual from a technician that repairs these cars everyday.
Want to try again?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Troubleshooting manuals are nearly useless to me. I very rarely ever pick one up. I have been servicing only Honda/Acura vehicles 5 days a week for the past 9 years so I know just a little bit. Does the horn work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Justin,
Thanks for your time.
I'm done.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

I am confident that I can help you determine the issue, and I wasn't trying to sound snobby. Sometimes text can be taken out of context. I have lots of experience with these cars. If you give me a chance I'm positive I can aid you in fixing this issue.