Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2004 acura mdx when i plug a device in the cigarette lighter

Customer Question

2004 acura mdx when i plug a device in the cigarette lighter dashboard lights go out when i unplug it they come back on does anyone know what the problem is?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Most of the time this is due to a short inside the lighter, but may be in wiring or dimmer switch, but I need the last 8 of the vin number in order to pull the correct schematics and check, as well as walk you thru any needed testing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4H534474 last 8 of vin
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, the circuit is pretty simple on this one - power from fuse #9 in passenger side fuse box which is only for the lighter socket, which goes to the relay for the lighter outlets and then straight to the lighter itself. Does not feed anything else. So, either the socket is drawing too much amperage which will cause the lights to dim as it draws too much power from the fusebox, or there is a bare spot in the wiring and shorting to ground.

You will need to check the wiring from the socket and repair as needed. If ok, then replace the socket itself

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating