Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2009 Acura MDX Tech, 98k, was stored since July. it

required a boost start as...
My 2009 Acura MDX Tech, 98k, was stored since July. it required a boost start as the solenoid would only click. It started fine but, after a short drive, I noticed the backup screen didn't work when parking the car nor did the Nav system. I travelled 500 km the following day having no other issues. I checked the primary and driver's kick panel fuses and none were burned. Note: the heater, memory, radio, CD system were all functional. After another short drive, the radio became non-functional, requesting a code be entered. This I did and the radio again worked but stil no backup camera nor NAV - the screen remained black on a dimly lit background.
From this, I gather there must be a similar process to re-activate the NAV as with the radio but I must have a functioning NAV screen to see the required prompts. Any suggestions to get data on the screen?
Ron J
10/20/2015
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Try and remove the fuses for the nav and back up camera system/display and see if you remove these for about 5 minutes with the key off then reinstall them and start the engine if they work then.In some cases this reset here will work to correct this fault.If this does not work to correct this here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Hi, Pete: I finally checked all four fuse panels and all fuses in those panels are sevicable however, nowhere did I see a circuit identified as being for the NAV system & backup camera. There does not appear to be power at the NAV box under the driver's seat as the 'Open' button is not illuminated.Also, I have been able to sign the radio on again, displaying the clock, but not being able to adjust the time as the NAV system is not functional: is there a backup means to set he time?
Thanks, Pete

O.k.,looking at my info on this model here fuses 5 (10 amp),32 (10 amp) and 7 (10 amp) all power up the navigation system and display.These fuses are located in the under dash fuse and relay box.Make sure all of these fuses are good and all are in place.

Thanks Pete

I have (again) confirmed all fuses are in place and not blown: I Removed each of the three fuses you suggested, all at once, and replaced them, one at a time & in various sequences, but no luck. Also, to confirm the backup light sensor is functional, I checked the operation of the backup lights and they are working so the problem is resolved to the backup camera or the NAV system: power is not getting to the NAV box (under the seat) as it will not eject the maps disc. Any more suggestions or should I take it to my dealer to confirm the box is functional?

This may be the nav control unit/box itself at fault.I have seen some of these fail before causing issues like this here and with all that has been checked and done here I suspect it needs replaced.It would be a good idea to allow the dealer to look into and test this to make sure before having it replaced.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician