sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2009 Acura TL that i purchased from an auction with

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Acura TL that i purchased from an auction with a missing ecu. I replaced the ecu with one from the same model year and re-wrote the vin with my launch scanner. There are no codes in the engine module or security module but the car still will
not start, it just cranks and the key light on the speedometer flashes meaning the immobilizer is engaged. Am i missing another step to get that ecu to work? Also, would you be able to tell me the immobilizer brake code for this vehicle so i can atleast move
it? The VIN is 19UUA86569A006443. Thank You!
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The immobilizer functions need to be programmed when the PCM is replaced. You may or may not be able to get a used unit to program.

What needs to be done is go into the immobilizer module with a scan tool and run the PCM replaced routine. The immobilizer PIN will need to be obtained from a dealer, the PIN is entered during the scan tool routine and it will then program information into the PCM to allow the engine to run. This PIN or the immobilizer brake code will need to be obtained from a dealer who will need to verify vehicle ownership before releasing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to update my launch to the latest software and I am now able to get into the ECM/PCM replacement, however after I input vin it asks me for ECM code and this is where I get stopped. I tried calling the dealer, asked for emergency brake code just so I can move this thing inside to work on it, wouldn't release it, faxed over copy of title and still wouldn't do it. I'm sure he will not release the ecu code to me, is there any other way to obtain this? Nearest dealer is over 1.5hr away and I'm really not looking forward to towing it there.

The only way to obtain the code is from a dealer but you might try going through a locksmith. They have to use the VIN to obtain the code from Acura's database. A locksmith would almost certainly have to call a dealer also, but a dealer may be more willing to release the code to a business over the phone rather than an individual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a dealer but don't really do much Acura so I don't really have a relationship established with them. I'll try the locksmith idea tomorrow and see how it goes. Would a Honda dealer be able to look this up for me?

Yes, a Honda dealer should be able to look it up just the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I obtained the immobilizer pin and it still told me incorrect code, regardless of how many times i treid it. I also obtainted the emergency brake code and that would not work either. I tried both on the same day that i obtained the codes because i know they are supposed to change daily.

Are you able to read the VIN in the immobilizer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i go into immobilizer, it tells me to go to one push start since this has the smart key. I go under the registration tab menu and click ecm/pcm replacement, it asks me to enter the vin, which i do and then enter ecu pin. If i go under ecu module and click read/write vin it does show up with the correct vin number.

I know that you previously changed the VIN in the ECM, does it still show the current, correct VIN or did it revert back to the original number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It reads the correct vin on the scan tool.

I would recommend having them look the code up again. It may have been looked up wrong, written down wrong, a digit may have been wrong when writing down the VIN, etc.