sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Rl: 1997 acura rl

Customer Question

1997 acura rl
Category: Acura
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello ad welcome to Justanswer!
You may have quite a few thing going on. You may be losing spark due to a coil, cam or crank sensor, wiring, or engine controller issue, or you may be losing fuel pressure. It's very possible that the fuel pump is failing and operating intermittently.
The first thing I would recommend is checking for fault codes. If the issue is spark related then there should be a fault code set that will need to be used to begin diagnosis, assuming the engine controller itself isn't going down. If the ECM is going down due to an internal failure or loss of power or ground then there won't be a code set.
If there are no codes then I would recommend monitoring fuel pressure when it dies. If pressure is lost and there is still ECM communication and spark then the next step would be to test the pump's power and ground, if ok then teh pujmp can be condemned.