acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

Mdx: . I just bought a 2003 acura mdx. 125k miles. When

Customer Question

Hi. I just bought a 2003 acura mdx. 125k miles. When I turn the steering wheel it groans, like chewbacca. Shop said the transfer case is going and they have to take transmission out, rebuild it all. 4 grand. I'm horrified. Could there be any other options ?
Thanks
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam, welcome. I'm Steve. And I will be assisting you today. try changing the rear differential fluid with Acura VTM-4 fluid first sometimes the growl will travel from the rear through the drive line and sound like the transfer case. Also if the growl happens when you turn the wheel without the car moving the noise could be from the power steering pump. Either way it might be a good idea to get another shops opinion this is not normally the way the transmission fails on this model.