Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

I have a 2007 acura tl type s and the steering wheel vibrates

Customer Question
at 60mph +. I...
i have a 2007 acura tl type s and the steering wheel vibrates at 60mph +. I just got new tires and they are balanced properly. I also replaced the drivers side lower control arm with new ball joint. When i jacked up the car and checked tires for camber it was good or it had no movement in the tire. Then i tried to wiggle tire from left to right and there was play in that movement. I then bought a steering rack adjustment wrench hoping it was a loose steering rack that was giving me the wheel vibration but the tires are still vibrating at 60mph +. What else can i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Acura
6/4/2015
Mechanic for Acura: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello
one other thing to check for which isn't covered by a balance check is out of round or bent wheels, if you use a dial gauge on the axle to measure the run out on the wheel rim this will ensure that the wheels are round and true
if that's OK then check over the wheels again as you can't have any play anywhere
- jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush
To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing
Worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'.
Worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts
Heh Matt
When i jack the car up there is no play up and down. When someone holds the steering wheel there is no play left to right but the the front wheels still vibrate when i reach 60 mph +. So what do you think my problem is?
Hello
check the wheels for out of round as I mentioned
also check for a broken or defective driveshaft vibration damper - some models feature a rubber mass about halfway along the driveshaft - this functions as a vibration damper so 'tuning out' vibration - the rubber needs to be not cracked and the damper firmly fixed to the shaft and running true - anything other than this and the entire shaft will have to be replaced as they are bonded in place
Hi
do you still need help?
Matt, Engineer