Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm having trouble with my Acura 99 Cl 3.0. I was

Customer Question
I'm having trouble with my...
I'm having trouble with my Acura 99 Cl 3.0. I was experiencing the common ignition switch symptoms so I replaced it when I did an oil change. After replacing the switch, I tried to start the car to no avail. It would crank perfectly but not catch and start
up. I plugged back in to old switch that had just worked to start and drive the car onto the ramps, still no luck. When I had tried starting it a few more times with no success, I decided to push the car the 100 yards down the street to my grandfathers house
(he's been a mechanic for the past 40 or 50 years.) I turned the key (new switch) and put the car into Neutral. Once we got it there I put it in park, took out the key, locked the doors and left the key for my grandpa. The next morning he when out to see why
it would crank but not start; he put in the key and got nothing but the normal "you left your key in" repetitive beeping. No dash lights, no radio, no A/C, can't even move the car out of park, with the key in and switched to the II (on) position. Turning the
full spin did nothing. He tried the old switch and still no power. Tried a "main ignition" new relay, still no luck. After checking all the fuses and relays he could, he ran a hot line from the battery in to where the line from the ignition switch connects
above the inside fuse box. Finally he got light on the dash and he tested the starter. The car cranked but no start like before. At this point we still don't know why the car doesn't have dash lights or (on) power without the hot wire, or why the car cranks
but doesn't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Acura
6/2/2015
Mechanic for Acura: Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, and thanks for using Just Answer.
I believe your installation of the new ignition switch was performed correctly. That being said, the new switch needs to be programed to the ECM. This will have to be done at an Acura dealer.
The cost to reprogram the ignition switch will cost around 90 - 100 dollars.
Unfortunately, the car won't start until it has been reprogrammed.
I hope this helps and please let me know the outcome.
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician