Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2005 MDX, the ignition coil broke off and I can't get it…

Customer Question
my 2005 MDX, the ignition...
my 2005 MDX, the ignition coil broke off and I can't get it out.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Acura
5/23/2015
Mechanic for Acura: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Hi. So did the hold down bolt break, or did the ignition coil break causing the boot to remain stuck in the cylinder head?
The boot.
The boot can be very stubborn especially when broke. What works best is a pair of long needle nose pliers and grab the outside of the boot and twist it to break it free then get a firm grip on it and pull it out. Let me know if that works for you. Thanks.
I have been using the needle nose for over two hours along with vise grips, WD40 and various screwdrivers. Have you ever done this on this car? Until I get the core out you can't pick at the sides. Then at some points something must be melted, then what?
Yes I have encountered this on this car before. You did not mention the coil was melted. That actually is a bigger problem then just a broken coil. More than likely the engine computer, ECU, has faulted and caused the coil to stay on for too long and melted it. This sometimes "fuses" the coil to the plug. I have seen instances when the spark plug threads in the cylinder head have become damaged when this happens, and the plug comes out with coil. Other times I have seen the coil and plug be so melted together that they can not be removed. You need to chisel away, or try and destroy the piece of the coil to get it out.
There is a very good chance that the cylinder head will have to be removed, and even possibly replaced, and the ECU replaced to complete this repair. Please respond with your thoughts or further questions on this.
Of no help, provided no insight.