Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

TL: 2002 Acura and I need to replace the blower motor

Customer Question
2002 Acura and I need...
2002 Acura and I need to replace the blower motor for the ac behind the glove box. Is this a difficult job and what tools are needed? Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Acura
5/21/2015
Mechanic for Acura: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 3 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is ***** ***** do the blower motor, the passenger side airbag has to be removed, this means the airbag system has to be disarmmed, or it is very dangerous, are you willing to do this your self?
Disarmed as in unhook the battery? Yes please let me know how to do this on my car. Thanks
below is the procedure for removing the air bag, once it is off, its just a matter of removing the electrical connector for the blower motor, and the 5 screws holding it in,Tim

Front Passenger's Airbag Replacement

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable and wait at least 3 minutes before beginning work.
  2. Remove the glove box.

1. Remove the front passenger's airbag connector (A) from the holder (C), then disconnect the connector between the front passenger's airbag 2P ('99 Model) or 4P ('00-03 Models) connector (A) and SRS main harness 2P('99 Model) or 4P ('00-03 Models) connector (B).

1. Remove the harness clamp (A) and the three mounting nuts (B) from the bracket. Cover the lid and dashboard with a cloth, and pry carefully with a screwdriver to lift the front passenger's airbag (C) out of the dashboard.
NOTE: The airbag lid has pawls on its side which attach it to the dashboard.

Installation

1. Place the new front passenger's airbag (A) into the dashboard. Tighten the front passenger's airbag mounting nuts (B), and install the harness clamp (C).

1. Connect the front passenger's airbag 2P ('99 Model) or 4P ('00-03 Models) connector (A) to the SRS main harness 2P ('99 Model) or 4P ('00-03 Models) connector (B).

Attach the front passenger's airbag connector to the connector holder (C), then reinstall the glove box.

1. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. After installing the airbag, confirm proper system operation: Turn the ignition switch ON (II); the SRS indicator light should come on for about 6 seconds and then go off.
  3. Enter the anti-theft code for the radio, then enter the customer's radio station presets.

thats not nearly as bad as i thought...why are shops quoting me to take out the evaporator and recharge etc? Clearly someone is wrong in this install/removing procedure.

there is no need to remove the evaporator to do this, it is not a hard job,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH