Acura

I have a 2008 acura TL. I have a timing belt job coming up…

I have a 2008 acura...
I have a 2008 acura TL. I have a timing belt job coming up (106k). They also say the Oil pump o-ring is leaking, and the side mount is broken. They want to replace all of it (including front mount)
. how much labor should be involved for this? the cost is high (total of $2500). Is this appropriate.... Read full answer
. how much labor should be involved for this? the cost is high (total of $2500). Is this appropriate.
4/8/2015
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
Which engine is in your TL?

Base model, 3.2

Great,
The timing belt job is 4.6 for the belt. Are they replacing the waterpump and idler pulleys at the same time?
I would not charge more than another .5 to replace the crank seal on the oil pump while I have the belt out.
The mounts are 2.1 for the side and .4 for the front. There is a TSDB for the side mount so be sure they are following it to replace it properly and avoid vibration issues.
Please let me know about the water pump it would add another .3 to the job.
Thank you

Timing belt job = replace timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, tensioners and any thing else associated.

Oil pump leak - says the "O-ring" needs to be replaced and not on the same side as timing belt. need to "dig deeper" to get to it.

Cost also includes oil change, replacing both air filters. Is $2500 in the ball park?

Spark plugs add another .7 to the job so you would have 7.8 hours there but if it is the O ring for the oil pump and not the crank seal the oil pump needs to be removed. The time to do the oil pump alone is 5.9 hours. There is a little overlap but lets say they went the full labor you have a total of 14.2 hours. You can multiply that by the shop hourly labor rate to how much of the 2500 is labor.
If you are at a dealer this is pretty close for the complete job, if you are at an independent shop it would be a little high but not outrageous for this much work.
Please let me know how I can help
Thank you
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 2006 Acura TL that just turned 150,000 miles. I
I have a 2006 Acura TL that just turned 150,000 miles. I have been told by Acura service rep that my oil pump is leaking and that I will eventually have to replace it. Quoted around $1,200 parts and l… read more
Automotive Tech,
Just sent question to eric...should I copy aND paste
just sent question to eric...should I copy aND paste aNd-send to u? … read more
Agustin Grandinetti
Agustin Grandinetti
AS in Automotive Technology
Acura Service Dealer told me my front struts and rear shocks
Acura Service Dealer told me my front struts and rear shocks need to be replaced on my 2007 Acura MDX. What should the cost be with parts and labor for each job? Need to replace motor mounts on a 2004… read more
Retired,
N/A
Stop searching for answers—
We have a 1997 Acura CL 2.2. The timing belt and water pump
We have a 1997 Acura CL 2.2. The timing belt and water pump were replaced 3/24/2015. We now have an oil leak. I took the car to a different shop for oil and filter change yesterday. They did not do th… read more
Gary
Gary
TL: Hi. I took my 99 Acura TL to the mechanic last week after
Hi. I took my 99 Acura TL to the mechanic last week after I discovered a Power Steering High pressure hose leak ( hose from discharge of PS pump to Rack assembly). The job could not be completed on a … read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
Acura TL: I have a 2004 Acura TL with 120k miles. When it is
I have a 2004 Acura TL with 120k miles. When it is very cold outside, when I turn the engine on it has a whining sound, but once it warms up it stops… read more
Kyle N.
Kyle N.
ASE Certified Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi. I have a 2008 Acura MDX with approx 107k. I took her into
Hi. I have a 2008 Acura MDX with approx 107k. I took her into my Acura dealership for the 105k service mid October. They changed the timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt, cost me about a grand.… read more
Andrew
Andrew
ASE Master Tech,
Acura 3.2TL: 1999 Acura TL wife brought the car by the fire
1999 Acura TL wife brought the car by the fire station yesterday and ran in and said "the car is on fire"! Of course all us firemen spring into action just to find the car has developed a oil leak tha… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
Acura TL: If Im having the transmission replaced on a 2003
If I'm having the transmission replaced on a 2003 TL, should I also be charged labor for the replacement of the front motor mount? I thought the mount either had to be removed for the transmission rep… read more
Andrew
Andrew
ASE Master Tech,
Acura MDX: What is involved in a timing belt replacement?
What is involved in a timing belt replacement? I have a 2004 Acura MDX. My local dealership is quoting me an arm & a leg to replace it. Is there computer work involved, or is this something that can b… read more
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master
Automotive College
2004 Acura TL: highway driving..my commute..oil change..timing belt
I have a 2004 Acura TL with 100,790 miles (mostly highway driving miles from my commute from PA to NYC). My Acura dealer is recommending at my next oil change (105,000) to change the timing belt. How … read more
Retired,
N/A
2005 Acura: TL...I am looking to get my timing belt replaced
Hello, I just bought a 2005 Acura TL. It has 104000 miles, and I am looking to get my timing belt replaced. Can you advise what exactly I should get done "while they're in there". A dealership quoted … read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
Stop searching for answers—
2001 Acura: 000 miles and had the timing belt and water pump replaced
how much should replacing the timing belt cost for a 2001 Acura 3.2 CL. I have 217,000 miles and had the timing belt and water pump replaced in 2006 at 108,000 miles. From what I am seeing on the inte… read more
brownjeff
brownjeff
2003 Acura TL S: leaking oil..oil out of the flywheel inspection cover
Have a 2003 Acura TL S-type that started leaking oil out of the flywheel inspection cover. I've used Moble 1 from the begining, it has 160-k on car now. looks to be the rear main seal. what kind of a … read more
Retired,
N/A
2003 Acura: TL..Navigation..Im considering..local dealers in SoCal
What is involved in a 105K service for a 2003 Acura 3.2 TL with Navigation? I'm considering a service from local dealers in SoCal and wanted to also get a fair and reasonable ballpark price of how muc… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
when the timing belt is changed in an acura tl 2003, should
when the timing belt is changed in an acura tl 2003, should the water pump and all other belts be changed at the same time? what is a reasonable price for that… read more
Retired,
N/A
I have a 3.2 acura TL that has an oil leak. What would be
I have a high milega 3.2 acura TL that has an oil leak. What would be the cost to repair the oil leak in a 1998 3.2 TL acura?… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
Acura TL: i toke power steering out to change the timing belt thanks
I have a Acura TL end i have air on my power steering i need to now how to take the air out and the oil is foming i toke power steering out to change the timing belt thanks.… read more
Kyle N.
Kyle N.
ASE Certified Tech,