Acura

rdx: Just got diagnosed at an acura dealer with a left side…

Customer Question
Just got diagnosed at an...
Just got diagnosed at an acura dealer with a left side wiring harness failure on my 2007 acura rdx. First and only symptom to this point was failure of the tailgate to unlock. Car has 84000 miles on it. What could cause this failure?, Is it a recall item by any chance? Is Just over 1600.00 to fix it reasonable?... Read full answer
Just got diagnosed at an acura dealer with a left side wiring harness failure on my 2007 acura rdx. First and only symptom to this point was failure of the tailgate to unlock. Car has 84000 miles on it. What could cause this failure?, Is it a recall item by any chance? Is Just over 1600.00 to fix it reasonable?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Acura
2/5/2014
Mechanic for Acura: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's hard to say what has caused the failure without finding the actual problem in the harness and physically seeing what is wrong. It could be a broken wire due to flex or rub through, it could have moisture damage/corrosion, wires could be melted and shorted, or it could even be as simple as a sharp spot weld that has poked through wiring insulation and has shorted a circuit to ground.

There are no recalls on the vehicle for any wiring or electrical concerns.

The price does sound correct, but I would ask why the harness can't be repaired. It's nearly always possible to find and repair a wiring issue for far cheaper than replacing the entire harness. Unless there is substantial damage, which doesn't really sound like your case, then they should be able to find and repair the damage/break for a couple hours of labor at the most.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Nothing. I just purchased a 2015 with about 40,000 on it. It
Nothing. I just purchased a 2015 with about 40,000 on it. It was a Certified Pre-owned vehicle and came with 2 yrs of oil changes plus lifetime car washes. I love the way it drives especially the powe… read more
Tony McCarthy
Tony McCarthy
Owner Technician,
The right side windows will not work and the truck will not
the right side windows will not work and the truck will not open … read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
I cant get it started..the alarm keeps going off. I am
When i turn the key in the ignition the siren goes off … read more
Anthony P.
Anthony P.
ASE Certified, Ford Master, Honda Master
Stop searching for answers—
2014 acura rdx bat light come on & off for 15 sec's, checked
2014 acura rdx bat light come on & off for 15 sec's, checked grounds replaced bat and alt, drive 10 miles no problems. Next day bat light go on for 15 to 20 sec's & off. Checked for code's none in sys… read more
Anthony P.
Anthony P.
I have a 2018 Acura RDX. The tailgate is jammed-won't
I have a 2018 Acura RDX. The tailgate is jammed-won't open-and won't completely close. Any suggestions? … read more
Retired,
N/A
I have a 2010 RDX and the check emission and SHAWD lights
Hello. I have a 2010 RDX and the check emission and SHAWD lights are on. When I took it to Acura dealer, they said to be properly inspected, the engine needed to be dropped which is a $1,550 cost … read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
ASE Certified Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My 2007 RDX, after sequential starts during the day has a
My 2007 RDX, after sequential starts during the day has a hard time turning over to start. The starter and battery have been checked by Acura dealer. It seems fine in the morning when I first start it… read more
Shawn Few
Shawn Few
AS
Crown Acura just told me my 2007 RDX needs at least the coil
Crown Acura just told me my 2007 RDX needs at least the coil and clutch replace and preferably those plus the compressor. Total estimated aT $1,500. They just fixed (last THUR) a broken A/C "schrader"… read more
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
My 2007 acura rdx alarm keeps going off everytime it rains
my 2007 acura rdx alarm keeps going off everytime it rains out … read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
ASE Certified Technician,
I need to remove the Acura RDX tailgate cover (external
I need to remove the Acura RDX tailgate cover (external plastic) … read more
Mark G
Mark G
Retired Toyota Technician,
Auto Technology Degree
2007 Acura RDX AWD turbo: Recently, the remote entry unlocks
2007 Acura RDX AWD turbo: Recently, the remote entry unlocks everything except the rear passenger door and tailgate. Tailgate will not open at all (no key lock available). When shifting into park, all… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
I need unlock code radio acura rdx 2007 i have the serial
i need unlock code for my radio acura rdx 2007 i have the serial number od the radio and the car… read more
Adam Legler
Adam Legler
Service Advisor, Master Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
TL: What is Acura answer to the known problem with the XM radio
What is Acura answer to the known problem with the XM radio having intermittent play in the 2009 TL? Is there an after market FM modulator?… read more
justinsbg
justinsbg
Lead Diagnostic Tech,
My 2014 Acura RDX AWD has a noticeable differential whine between 30 a
My 2014 Acura RDX AWD has a noticeable differential whine between 30 and 40 mph - worse around 38 mph. It can be heard on light acceleration and holding a steady speed. When backing off on light accel… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
ASE Certified Technician,
RDX: My 2013 RDX recently had a recall service. Shortly after
My 2013 RDX recently had a recall service. Shortly after that, first the battery died in the garage. A parking attendant could have left the door open but no one admitted to that. Then there have been… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
2007 acura mdx: alarm went..the rear tailgate was open
My 2007 acura mdx was in the shop 3 days ago because the alarm went off at 5am for no apparent reason. When I went into the car, the display screen said the rear tailgate was open. It was not. I subse… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
2009 RDX: My Service Manager tells me the temp gauge..factory
Okay guys, My Service Manager tells me the temp gauge in my 2009 RDX was purposely mentally retarded at the factory to not start working until the engine has been running for at least fifteen minutes.… read more
Greg
Greg
Shop owner, technician,
2007 Acura RDX: 000 miles..able to jump start my wife..car battery
This afternoon my wife's 2007 Acura RDX with 46,000 miles would not start. Using ny son's car we were able to jump start my wife's car with battery cables. Originally wy wife and youngest son were goi… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,