Andrew
Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Master tech for 11 years.
64561840

TSX: I have an 08 TSX with 56k miles. Two weeks ago I had

I have an '08 TSX with 56k miles. Two weeks ago I had it in for scheduled B,1, and 2 maintenance, and everything, including the power steering and suspension components were inspected. This past Friday, the car whined and was hard to turn. I pulled over immediately and checked the power steering fluid, which was full. I drove home and took it to the dealer the next morning expecting that the PS pump was out. During the drive to the dealership, the wheel would jerk opposite the direction of any turn. The dealership reports that the rack and pinion are shot and need to be replaced. I went on the forums, and a couple of people in hot climates reported similar problems. I'm just curious how the rack and pinion could be out when the PS fluid reservoir was full, and if there is anything I can do to prevent this situation from reoccurring. Also, whether this is a problem that would have been apparent during the visual inspection by the Acura tech the week prior. Thanks!

Andrew :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your Acura questions today!

Andrew :

Did the dealer claim that the rack was leaking or that it just had an internal problem with one of the valves?

Customer:

They didn't specify. I spoke with my service advisor, who doesn't actually know anything about the car and just relays what the service department tells her.

Andrew :

Ok it is possible for a valve inside the rack to fail and cause the steering to fight against the direction that you try to turn the wheel. This will not result in a loss of fluid since the problem is located in the rack internally and also would not be something that could be seen by a visual inpsection.

Andrew :

The only way it would be able to be caught during the service is if the technician was able to experience the problem during a test drive. As far as trying to keep the problem from re-occurring.........the new part will likely come with updated parts internally to prevent any future problems.

Andrew :

One thing you can do to service the power steering system would be to do a flush approx every 30K miles. This will get clean fluid into the system which will aid in lubricating the internal seals.

Andrew :

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help. Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

Thank you for the information, and the suggestion to flush the system every 30k.