Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

CL-S: 2003 CL-S. Driver side low-beam wont come on. Bulb OK.

2003 CL-S. Driver side low-beam...
2003 CL-S. Driver side low-beam won't come on. Bulb OK. Hi-beam OK.
Passenger side low-beam may or may not come on. Bulb OK. Hi-beam OK.
Dealer says needs new Driver side and Passenger side Multiplex Control Units @ $700+ per unit. Car has no other electrical problems.
Is this a reasonable diagnosis?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2013
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com,

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i don't agree with the diagnosis of the passenger. the passenger side works correctly right?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

are you speaking of the HID control unit and ignitor that controls the bulb?

Customer:

No. Sometimes it will or will not turn on. Sometimes I turn on the lights first and then start the car. Sometimes it will turn on after 2-3 tries with car on. Sometimes it works right away and correctly.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

both sides at this way?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

act

Customer:

No. Driver side does not work. HID system only.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok i'm confused..... the driver's doesn't work at all? and the passenger will work sometimes and other times not? is that right?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

When I replaced the ds HID bulb, it worked briefly then the ps HID problem started. Then ds stopped working and ps works intermittantly as described.

Customer:

After the bulb replacement, both lights worked OK for a couple of days.

Customer:

I received both of your e-mails to View My Answer and the text in the box reads Loading data, please wait... but nothing has loaded.

Customer:

Hello?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok the chat feature is not working well. this is a fature i wish they would eliminate on this site. i am going to switch it to the Q&A mode where i can view your responses easier

I'm here.

ok i agree with the diagnosis of the driver's side needing the hid control unit, the passenger side i would say is more than likely a loose connection or ground since it is intermittent. the HID units don't usually go in and out its usually out

When you say HID control unit, what do you mean? I have ths shop manual for this car and the Multiplex control unit is separate frpm the inverter and igniter.

the multiplex control unit is separate and is located in the fuse panels. maybe there is a communication error between the dealer and yourself but there has never been a issue with the multiplexes causing the headlights not to work. it is the inverter and igniter that causes the lights not to work
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN

I just talked to the dealer and this time he described it as the inverter/igniter unit, not a multiplex control unit. I will rate you highly. But, is $700+ per unit a reasonable price?

yes that is a reasonable price

Thank you.

your welcome
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN