Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

3.2TL: I have a 2003 TL and Im having sensor problems that

I have a 2003 TL and I'm having sensor problems that come and go. Sometime when you start the car it goes to a very rough idle after a minute or so and then it trips the TCS light which in turn trips the check engine light and at that time it goes to a good idle. Can you point me in the right direction on which sensor is causing my problem? Thanks in advance!

I am sorry that no one has helped you yet. I just came online and saw your question

Have you had the computer scanned for fault codes and if so, what are they?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The code it's throwing is P1676.

HI,

Ok, this is a communication fault between the PCM(powertrain control module) and the ABS/TCS control module. This is either a short to ground, open circuit, faulty PCM or faulty ABS/TCS control module. Below is test procedure

DTC P1676: Frame to Powertrain Torque Down Request (FPTDR) Signal Line Malfunction

'00-03 models:

1. Reset the PCM.
2. Start the engine and wait 10 seconds.

Is DTC P1676 indicated?

YES - Go to step 3.

NO - Intermittent failure system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose wires at the ABS/TCS control unit and the PCM.

3. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
4. Disconnect the PCM connector E (20P) and the ABS/TCS control unit 16P connector.

graphic

5. Check for continuity between body ground and PCM connector terminal E16.

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair short in the wire between the ABS/TCS control unit and the PCM (E16).

NO - Go to step 6.

graphic

6. Check for continuity between ABS/TCS control unit 16P connector terminal No.1 and PCM connector terminal E16.

Is there continuity?

YES - Go to step 7.

NO - Repair open in the wire between the ABS/TCS control unit and the PCM (E16).

7. Reconnect the PCM connector E (20P).

sgraphic

8. Connect PCM connector terminals E16 and C28 with a jumper wire.
9. Reset the PCM.
10. Start the engine and wait 60 seconds.

Is DTC P1678 indicated?

YES - Substitute a known-good ABS/TCS control unit and recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away, replace the original ABS/TCS control unit.

NO - Substitute a known-good PCM and recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away, replace the original PCM.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll try this Eric. Thanks for the direction!

You are very welcome and have a great weekend.

please remember to rate service. thanks. Even after rating, you can return for FREE followup help on this at anytime