George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification
13574682

TL: so if I read the advice you gave on removing the 05 TL

so if I read the advice you gave on removing the '05 TL starter I got a littlc confused on the location....where is it actually located (below the battery or on the back of the engine?

Hello I will help you with your question,

The starter is behind the battery in the "vee" of the engine so it is not all the way to the back.

Click here for procedure

Look this over and let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so is the starter easily recognizable behind the battery tray?

Not really, it is burried so it takes some digging to get to it.

Once you have your radio codes, disconnect and remove the battery then follow the large positive battery cable into the starter solenoid.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your help....just so I'm prepared, what size sockets should I be sure to have?

You need a full set of metric socket from 8 - 19 mm. The starter bolts are very tight so you will need six point sockets , an extension and a breaker bar or extension for your ratchet. The nut holding th e positive cable to the starter should not be over torqued when you install the starter. The head of that bolt is held in plastic so you can crack the plastic if you over tighten it.

You are removing the battery, battery tray and the heat shield to get to the wire connections and the starter bolts. "Book" time to replace the starter is 1.4 hours so it takes a while.

Thank you