Andrew
Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Master tech for 11 years.
64561840

TL Type S: My Acura TL -S 3.2L, 2003 was driving down the highway

My Acura TL -S 3.2L, 2003 was driving down the highway at about 80km/h and suddenly, when I went to accelerate, the engine started shaking quite heavily and I could/would not accelerate. Instead I coasted off the highway. Then I drove to work taking the small streets at about 30km/h and things were ok.

Used my code reader and got error codes P0303, 305, 306, 300 and 1399. All of these are related to misfiring.

After doing some reading I decided it might be related to my EGR valve or air intake manifold. Apparently these can become clogged. I opened the air manifold and the EGR valve and both were not blocked. The manifold did have some carbon deposits though which I cleaned out. Replaced everything and still same problem.

Today I am going to change the spark plugs and then if that doesn't work, buy a coil and start trying one by one to see if that helps. I find it strange though that I would get so many cylinder misfires due to 1 spark plug or coil (assuming more than 1 probably wouldn't fail at exactly the same time). So I'm not super confident this will solve my problem. That's where Just Answer comes in. I'm doing all this work at my workplace and its Sunday. I'd really like to get this done today and get my car home and ready for work tomorrow. Looking for input....

BTW, when I opened the air intake I found quite a bit of gas in there in small puddles... I'm sure that's not good...

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello [USERNAME] my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your Acura questions today!

OnlineMasterTech :

You are likely on the right track with the coil pack causing the problem. You can isolate which cylinder is causing the problem by disconnecting each coil pack one by one to see which cylinder does not react to the coil pack being disconnected. When you disconnect the coil pack on the dead cylinder there will be no difference to the way the engine runs.

OnlineMasterTech :

Let me know what you find.

Customer:

Thanks for replying...Ok.. so for one, you think it's possible to have 1 bad coil cause several cylinders misfire?

Customer:

2nd...

Customer:

doesn't what your suggesting mean I'll have to tell the difference between having 1 bad one (the current bad one) and 2 bad ones (after removing another one)? Will there really be that much of a difference? What am I looking for? Just more violent shaking of the engine?

Customer:

Keep in mind... I'm a beginner here so apologies if those are stupid questions...

OnlineMasterTech :

Well when one cylinder is completely dead it will set multiple misfire codes.

Customer:

OK... good to know...I didn't realize that...

Customer:

Also, should I be doing this while the engine is running?

OnlineMasterTech :

To isolate the bad coil you will only do one at a time......this way you can tell if the cylinder is firing because if you disconnect a coil pack on a good cylinder the engine will start running much worse.

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes with the engine running.

Customer:

Ok! I'll give that a shot

Customer:

I'll let you know.....

OnlineMasterTech :

Start with the front bank coils......cylinder 5 and 6 are going to be the front middle and front right when looking at the engine.

OnlineMasterTech :

Ok sounds good.....keep me updated.

Customer:

OK... identified one coil that seemed to make no difference when unplugged. Am on my way to pick one up. Will replace it and confirm that everything is back to normal.. looks good though! :-)

OnlineMasterTech :

Ok that is great to hear.....let me know what you find.

Customer:

Success! Thanks! I think this is the second time you've helped me out.. hopefully you won't hear from me for a while though! Cheers.