Acura

Acura MDX Touring: In your opinion is it unwise to purchase…

In your opinion is it...
In your opinion is it unwise to purchase a 2002 Acura MDX with 156,000 miles? My 2001 was totaled in accident and had 151,000 miles with no problems? What is history of MDXs with high mileage?... Read full answer
In your opinion is it unwise to purchase a 2002 Acura MDX with 156,000 miles? My 2001 was totaled in accident and had 151,000 miles with no problems? What is history of MDXs with high mileage?
7/6/2013
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com, like any other vehicle with high mileage, the vehicle is only as good as the maintenance that was performed on it over the life of the vehicle. As you know from owning your 2001 there were transmission issues with those years. But I know of many high mileage MDXs that have high mileage and just because the owner was religious about transmission fluid changes and keeping up on their regular maintenance services the vehicle was virtually problem free. It is always a safe bet that you have the car checked over very well by a competent technician that you trust. Look over the owner's service records also for valuable information as to the frequency of oil changes, etc.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. please do not rate my service until we are completely done and you are completely satisfied and can rate my service good or above.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

thank you for using justanswer.com!

Customer:

Do you think a dealership would let me take the car to my mechanic which is 70 miles away?

HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Mechanics: Which is the best purchase...a 2009 Acura TL
For Acura mechanics: Which is the best purchase...a 2009 Acura TL loaded with Technology package and all wheel drive with 103k miles for $11,000; or a 2012 Acura TL loaded with Tech package but NOT al… read more
Automotive Tech,
In my 2002 Acura, MDX the fifth gear seems to be sputtering, is it safe to drive in 4th on
In my 2002 Acura, MDX the fifth gear seems to be sputtering, is it safe to drive in 4th on the freeway? I have had the filter changed and it work fine for a few days but it has started the problem aga… read more
Honda-Man
Honda-Man
MDX: I am looking at used MDX. I read survey showing MDX can
I am looking at used MDX. I read survey showing MDX can go high mileage. I try to stick to 2001 to 2006 model because of price. I looked at two vehicles. One has 99k miles but the vehicle has rebuilt … read more
Clifton B.
Clifton B.
nissan master auto tech,
Stop searching for answers—
MDX Touring: my 2001 Acura MDX has the following problem.As
my 2001 Acura MDX has the following problem. As soon as the car get warm, the car would loose power. No matter how much you press the gas pedal (you feel a strong resistance) the car would not exceed … read more
MDX: I am looking at a 2001 Acura MDX to purchase. The car
I am looking at a 2001 Acura MDX to purchase. The car is beautiful inside and out. The dealer is asking $6,300. After driving it I can tell it needs brake and there is a crack in the windshield. My bi… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
MDX: Considering Purchase of a used car and it is between a
Considering Purchase of a used car and it is between a 2002 Acura MDX and a 2002 Lexus RX 300. Both have comparable miles=65k. I have read several reviews that make claim to bad transmissions on the A… read more
Andrew
Andrew
ASE Master Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
TL-S: cars..required a new transmission after 150k miles..100k miles
Both of my 2001/ 2002 Acura cars have required new transmissions: my 2001 MDX required a new transmission after 150K miles and my TL-S required a replacement after 100K miles. I am looking at some use… read more
1smartcarguy
1smartcarguy
honda service technician,
What is the highest milage that acura 2002 mdx runs up to?
what is the highest milage that acura 2002 mdx runs up to? i might buy one with 205,000 milage for 7,000 is that worth it… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
Acura MDX: 000 miles..erratically..shift hard, the next time..slipping
I have an Acura MDX 2001 With 140,000 miles recently the transmission started shift erratically, one time it will shift hard, the next time it will act like it is slipping. is this an internal problem… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
2002 Acura MDX: it myself with regular oil changes and maintenance
I have a 2002 Acura MDX it has 172,345 miles on it and I am having problems with the transmission is there any sense in my contacting Acura about this I am not the origional owner but it has been take… read more
thebesthonda
thebesthonda
ASE MasterTechnician,
2001 MDX: 70k miles..pressure switch..transmission fluid changed
I have a 2001 MDX with 70K miles on it. The transmission has just been diagnosed with a fourth gear pressure switch failure. Disappointing with low miles and a record of service that has had the trans… read more
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791
TECHNICIAN,
high school then 1 year of college
2002 MDX: with 113,000 miles..service dept..hesitate..new transmission
I own a pre-owned 2002 MDX with 113,000 miles on it. I took it to the service dept last Wed because it would hesitate while driving. I was told that I need a new transmission. Can this be true? The se… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
Stop searching for answers—
2002 Acura MDX: pulls..new tires on it, new shock stabilizers..strut
I have a 2002 Acura MDX -never in an accident. The vehicle pulls to the left 95% of the time. I put new tires on it, new shock stabilizers and new strut supports. Each time I added these parts I had t… read more
thebesthonda
thebesthonda
ASE MasterTechnician,
Acura MDX: a high pitch whine noise..accelerated..rear differential
I purchased a 04 Acura MDX with 88k miles on it about 2 months ago. Soon after purchase I started noticing a high pitch whine noise when i accelerated. Took it into acura dealer and they said the rear… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
2006 Acura MDX: $25k for vehicles with 50-60k miles on them
Looking to purchase a 2006 Acura MDX. Prices are around $25K for vehicles with 50-60k miles on them. Will I be wasting my money? I'm leery of buying a vehicle that expensive with that many miles on it… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
Acura: Do I need to change the timing belt and water pump assembly?
My MDX Acura Year 2003 (purchased in 2002) needs 90000 miles service. How much would the service costs me? Do I need to change the timing belt and water pump assembly? Should I need to take it to the … read more
Steve
Steve
Service Manager/ Technician,
2002 mdx: engine light comes..car starts..I blew the head gasket
I have a 2002 mdx that I love and it has been very good to me (only 78k miles) and I am driving it to work this morning and the engine light comes on and the car starts losing power. Make it to a loca… read more
Lead Technician,
2001 MDX: dealership..a new ECM computer at an additional cost of $800
My 2001 MDX with 175k miles needs a new transmission which I'm preparing to have done at the dealership that has given us good service over the last decade. My question is about the requirement to inc… read more