Jim
Jim, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  18 yr honda tech, 30 yr expeience, 13 ase mastertech
54429526

Acura RL: My 2002 Acura RL has an alarm that goes off whenever

My 2002 Acura RL has an alarm that goes off whenever the car is locked. At this point I don't want to take this to Acura because they will want $100 just to put it in their garage with no idea how to fix. I'd be happy to disconnect the horn if I can lock the doors. Like all other alarm complaints - this problem is not random - every time the doors are locked whether by the door lock latch or by the remote - problem arises. I now have to always keep the car unlocked.

jimhondatech :

hi this jim, i'm here to help you out, the most likley cause is the hood switch, there is a test for the hood switch, roll the drivers window down and then lock and set the alarm with the remote, wait until the alarm sets which takes about 3 mins, then reach in the window and pull the hood latch, if the alarm does not go off then the hood switch is no good, you may have to do this process a few times to catch the switch when it is failing, is this making sense so far

Customer:

I need to ask another question but have to run out!

jimhondatech :

that is fine, just respond to your question and i will get it, i will be online for another 2 hours

Customer:

Jim,

Customer:

Jim

Customer:

Jim - I'll try what you suggest and see what develops. Just don't know how you can narrow it down so quickly to the hood switch. Is that also the hood latch? Also my alarm seems to set as soon as the door is locked not after a few minutes. Normal?

jimhondatech :

i have seen numerous problems with the hood switches and it is part of the latch assembly

Customer:

I'll try it.

jimhondatech :

ok, keep me posted, i'm glad i could help you today, thanks