Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  Master ASE Tech, Ca. smog lic
652461

My radio fuse in the engine compartment keeps blowing..alarm goes..fob

My radio fuse in the engine compartment keeps blowing like there is a short in the wire somewhere. My radio doesn't work, alarm goes off everytime I get into the car and my alarm fob doesn't work anymore.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am still awaiting an answer to my question. Any help would be most appreciated. If not, can I get a refund back?

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. Your deposit is refundable upon your request. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Hi, do you still need help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I still do
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, anything you can provide would be welcomed. I'm just not sure where to start with my this whole problem. The car worked one day just fine. The next day it didn't. As soon as you install a fuse for the radio it blows out. It's is the fuse panel in the engine compartment. The fuse under te dash isn't blown, which I think is odd. Because of this blown fuse, the alarm goes off every time you turn the car on, open a door, or the trunk. The alarm fob doesn't work anymore, the radio doesn't work, and neither does some of the electronic components like the seat memory button. the car has to be running in order for the interior electrical switches to work, ie... the dome light, trunk release lever.

I don't know if I got some kind of ECM, or an alarm module that is bad. Just not quite sure.

Thanks,

Shane

Hi again,
Do you have small children that ride in the car?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, the youngest is 11.
Hi again,
Reason I ask is usually when I see the fuse blow for the radio a kid has out coins in the CD slot causing a short.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nothing would have been stuck into the cd slot as it has a 6 disc changer in the trunk. It has a tape player on the head unit, but there is nothing inside it becasue I checked. It was also recommend that maybe something fell into the cigarette lighter socket and maybe have shorted the circuit, but there is nothing in there and the lighter still works.

Is it fuse #56 (7.5A) that's blowing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes it is.

Hi again,
That fuse is for more than just the radio as you probably already know since the alarm isn't working right, seat memory, etc..
You need to pull the radio and unplug it so you can start isolating parts from the circuit and install a new fuse. If it everything else works with the radio unplugged you can then get the radio fixed and problem solved.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will take that advise and try that as an option. I have a question, if the ECM for the alarm was to go out, would the same kind of problems I am having now be present?

Is there anyway to bypass that module to check?

Hi again,
I suppose it could happen but it's very unlikely. ECU's rarely go bad on Acuras especially in the RL. I think the fuse blowing is causing these other issues. You can't really bypass any modules or anything.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will pull the radio and check it. I will get back to you with my findings. Thank you for your time.
no problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, for the delay in "accepting " your answer. I just wanted to check if pulling the stereo would fix my issue. I pulled over the weekend, and it did fix my problem of the fuse blowing. I would like to ask just another question. If I buy another stock radio from like ebay or something, and it doesn't work for whatever reason, what would be my next course of action? Or dod you think a new stereo is the fix-all?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Shane

Hi Shane,

What did you find causing the short?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kyle:

Per your advise I disconnected the radio and it did solve the problem of the engine fuse blowing. My internal electronics are back to working properly as is my alarm. My additional question for you was: If I buy another stock radio from like ebay or something, and it doesn't work for whatever reason, what would be my next course of action? Or do you think a new stereo is the fix-all?

Okay.

If you flip the radio over and find the manufacturer you can usually go online and find their website and most have a repair service. Most of the time it's about $150 to repair a stock radio. You could also buy a used one and for the most part they don't break too often so you could be okay that route to. It's up to you. It's in the radio if everything works now so I think you'll be okay either way. Make sure if it's ebay you can return it if it doesn't work.
Hope that helps.
Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech
Experience: Master ASE Tech, Ca. smog lic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the stock radio interchangable with the "bose" radio's?
No if you have a Bose you have to replace it with a Bose, if you have a non Bose you have to use a Non Bose for a replacement. The reason is the Bose systems have special speakers with a lower impedence.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info on the non Bose system.

I would like to ask you other questions with regards to my acura. Do I have to deposit more money for new questions? Im not sure how this website works?

Ask away
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thanks!

First; The only doorlock that works with the alarm disarm button, or the drivers master lock switch is the drivers door. I'm assuming that is some kid of relay or the master swith that needs to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Second; the steering wheel up and down position switch quit working. I was having to manually adjust the steering wheel down and out to drive, and vise versa to get out because of my electrical problems, and now the the steering wheel will go in and out, but it wont go up and down. I still hear the noise like it's working, but it's louder now, and doesn't do anything. Is that mechanism gear driven? what could be wrong? Any idea's would be most appreciated.

I'll have to look at both systems and get back to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kyle:

I was wondering if you were able to get any additional information with regards to my other questions?

Shane

The up/down tilt motor is probably bad. It's a pretty normal failure. You have to take apart the column and see if you have power and ground on the red/black wires to the tilt motor when you activate the switch. If the wires have power then you have a bad motor and you'll have to replace it. Here's the picture of the motor click HERE.

None of the door locks work except the driver's from either the remote or the master door switch? Will the pass. lock switch control any of the locks?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Actually the drivers lock switch doesn't do anything.

The pass. side switch opens the pass side and back right door.

If I try to unlock or lock the door from outside on the pass side it locks it unlocks all the doors and unarms the alarm and vice versa.

The fob with one push will unarm and unlock drivers door, a double push will unlock the drivers and right rear door, and vice versa.

Very strange behavior if you ask me.

Sounds like that driver's switch is bad for sure. I'd probably start there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kyle:

Thank you for all of your great help. I bought a used radio for my RL today and I was wondering if you could get me the unlock code? The radio serial number is: B70524297C

Thanks a ton for everything,

Shane

Shane,
I'm one of the only experts here that doesn't give out radio codes. I don't want to have a conflict with Honda about it. Some experts here will do it but they risk losing their jobs if Honda finds out about it and every request is logged.
You can call your local parts dept. and they are usually okay with giving out the code over the phone more than service. Try doing that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I understand, thanks for your time though.

Shane

No problem sorry about that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon: I have another question for you. It is in regards to my 1991Toyota MR2 2.2 non turbo. Recently the Speedometer quit working and I am looking for what my options are to troubleshoot. Can you help?

Thanks,

Shane

Hi again,
Usually this is caused by a broken speedo cable. It connects to the back of the gauge cluster and goes out to the transmission. If you disconnect it at both ends you can chuck it into a cordless drill and see if the other side spins to check it. Hope that helps.