Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

Where can I get a catalytic converter for my '03 RSX that is

Customer Question
legal for California. I only...
Where can I get a catalytic converter for my '03 RSX that is legal for California. I only find ones online that are 49-state legal. It won't pass the smog test, and I already had the O2 sensor changed out. Is this something that can only be fixed at the dealership?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Acura
3/18/2012
Mechanic for Acura: Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech replied 5 years ago
Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech
There isn't an application for a CA. compliant OBD2 Cat. convertor for the RSX yet. I've looked and can't find any in the aftermarket. You'll have to buy a factory cat. convertor if that's what the car needs to pass the test.

How do you know it's the cat. causing the problem?
Don't know for sure, I don't know much about cars but I have a friend who "knows cars" and he said to changed the oxygen sensor and if that didn't work then it is probably the cat. that's the problem. What else could be the cause? I was hoping it would be a less expensive fix. How would I go about getting a factory direct part if it is the cat.? Through a dealership?
What did it fail for? Can you upload the failed test printout?
Will you be online tomorrow? I'm not sure where the printout is, I can hunt it down and send it to you tomorrow if possible.
I'll be online
Thanks. All I remember is that it said something about sensor failure. I'll contact you tomorrow. Thank you Kyle.
ok, I'll be here
Kyle,
Sorry but I wasn't able to find the test printout. I'm going to call the smog place and see if they possibly still have it on file and can give me another copy. Can I contact you when I find out?
Sure. I'll be here when you're ready
Hey Kyle, got the codes from the smog check.
P01259 - VTECH Solenoid & oil pressure switch
P0420 - Catalytic converter
I'm thinking about just trading it in as opposed to investing the $1400.00 and chancing something else going wrong soon. Do you know if a dealership would take the car even with these problems?
The first code could just be low oil level or a clogged VTEC solenoid screen. Worst case is a new VTEC solenoid to fix it.

The cat. converter though is expensive. The dealer should trade it in check the oil level first on the first code and just reset the code for the second one. Usually the cat. needs a couple trips before it codes again. It won't come up right away.
I lost the report from the initial test, so I decided to take it to a smog test and repair center to get it diagnosed, that's where I got those codes. I just got an oil change so I don't think it was low oil levels. My tags have been expired since september 2011, that's when it failed the initial smog check so I wasn't sure if a dealership would take my car as a trade in even though the registration is expired. I've already received a few fix it tickets for the expired registration, and I recently had a child so I was thinking of upgrading to a SUV or at least some sort of a 4 door car. Thanks for all of your help!
Hi again,
It's up to you if you want to tell the dealer or just clear the codes. Normally I would suggest being up front but it's not like the sales dept. is full of integrity or anything and they will try and use the repairs against you. I would get an estimate if you're going to tell them about it and that way you know what it needs and how much it will cost then you can deduct that amount from Kelly Blue Book trade in value and come to a fair trade in price. If they offer less you can show them blue book value minus the repair estimate and have something to fight back with. It's better to be prepared because it's harder to do it when you're in the hot seat negotiating down at the dealer.

Good luck to you I hope you find something that suits your growing family at a good price.
Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech
Thanks man you have a really big help through all of this. I really appreciate it so much!!!
Take care
No problem thanks for using JustAnswer. If you need help in the future you can request me. Thanks!
Kyle N.
Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech