MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech
10834442

2005 Acura RL: I suddenly lost my keyless entry system..navigation

With my 2005 Acura RL I suddenly lost my keyless entry system, LCD display (and probably navigation) all at once. Everything else seems to be working. It might be a fuse, but I cannot identify which fuse is tied to these function/features in the user's manual. Any ideas about what's happened here and the resolution?
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 6 years ago.

MASTER TECH :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

MASTER TECH :

please check the battery cables and make sure their is no corrosion on the cables and ends

MASTER TECH :

we see a lot of these problems and they are traced to the cables

Customer:

I checked the battery cables. They look clean. Other battery related functions seem to be working.

MASTER TECH :

did you remove the red cover and look into the cable strands.

MASTER TECH :

be do about 4 of these a month on the RL

Customer:

I DOUBLE-checked the battery cables. They look solid, clean, and properly connected. There's a 50-amp fuse there. As well as I can tell, and as little as I know about this fuse, it looks solid/unbroken, thus working.

Customer:

I discovered that you cannot lock or unlock the car with the lock/unlock button on the doors (you can, of course, manually lock/unlock using the lever at the door release), even with the engine started. Starting the engine is easy, which from experience I know you cannot do with the batter disconnected (experience on THIS very car, in fact). I don't see enough evidence that the problem is the battery. What's next?

MASTER TECH :

ok thanks for the update. if this is jumped will the power come back on ?

Customer:

I haven't lost power to the entire vehicle and can start the vehicle just fine.

MASTER TECH :

then i would be inspecting the ignition switch, does this happen on a daily basis or random

Customer:

if it is the ignition switch, why does the LCD not display on the nav screen? How are they connected?

Customer:

I get a message, upon starting the car, "Check Keyless Entry System"

Customer:

The front lights that have the ability to move with the turn hasn't worked for a while. I used to get a message "Check AFL" or something like that. I don't get that message now.

MASTER TECH :

yes this is how power is turned on , the switch supplies power to everything in the car as this is all switched power. we have seen some multiplex (fuse box) fail

Customer:

Last evening is the FIRST time I've had this problem.

Customer:

Is there a single fuse involved in this that can be replaced?

MASTER TECH :

the system will have some stored codes in the body section and this will lead to the issue, I would have acura scan this and proceed with a full diagnoses.

Customer:

so there is no self diagnosis and resolution in hour opinion?

MASTER TECH :

their is no fuse that will cause this, this is more of a connection issue the nice thing about this system is able to store fault codes. the flip side to this is acura will have to diagnoses this using the HDS scanner to interact with the cars systems

MASTER TECH :

no im afraid not.

Customer:

this is the car my wife drives..... other than this, would you say that the vehicle is safe to drive until we get it to a repair shop?

MASTER TECH :

yes this is correct. but i would not wait long, you will need to have ACURA permform these system checks I dont know if any out side shops will have this scanner