Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

2001 Acura RL: have to replace inside driver door handle and cable

Customer Question
2001 Acura RL have to...
2001 Acura RL have to replace inside driver door handle and cable , pretty handy , can I do it myself ? and how.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Acura
7/18/2010
Mechanic for Acura: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Yes, this can be done at home. You will want to go to your local parts store and buy a trim removal tool(about $10) to use to pry off door panel without breaking the clips.

• Remove the trim plate, then remove the screws.
    NOTE Do not remove the inner handle from the door panel.
  • Remove the screw and stop. Use a suitable trim panel removal tool to release the clips that hold the door panel, then remove the door panel by pulling it upward.
    NOTE When removing the door panel, bend it as little as possible to prevent creasing or breaking it.
  • Disconnect the connectors and inner handle cable. Remove handle.
  • Detach the connector and retainers then remove the door lock actuator.
  • Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
  •  

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click
    View Full Image

• Ask Your Own Acura Question

The diagram you sent is not of a 2001 Acura RL driver side door would like to see what I'm doing can you help??

sorry, pulled wrong year diagram. here is for 2001 showing clip locations, also how to use trim tool:

graphic

graphic

Relist: Incomplete answer.
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager