Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

acura-tsx: same problem.

Customer Question
<p>Do you remember how this...
<p>Do you remember how this AC problem in the 2004 TSX ended up? http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1xso1-i-have-2004-acura-tsx-w-navigation-i-have-ac-problem-it I am having the same problem. Thanks, Derek</p><p>Already Tried: <br />Replaced ac compressor, condensor and drier, high pressure line, expansion valve because ac compressor exploded. The aftermarket compressor had one wire coming from it instead of three. I miss wired it and connected wire 1,2,and 3 from compressor plug to the one wire coming from aftermarket compressor. Compressor cycled on/off very fast several times before I got it shut off. I then realized that wires 1 & 3 are for the thermal protector and 2 is for the hot to the clutch. After wiring it correctly, the compressor would not shut off when I pressed the off button on the dash. The compressor would kick on about 5 seconds after the car was started. Replaced the ecm. No luck. Found out a transistor on the hvac control pcb blew. Same transistor inline with the pressure switch and thermal protector. Replaced the hvac control pcb and now the acura dealer is telling me the compressor is not turning on at all. He thinks it is the ecm or the multiplex because there is not ground at the ecm. Thoughts?</p>
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Acura
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/13/2010
Mechanic for Acura: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 7 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician

No, the customer never got back to me on this. The aftermarket compressor I'm sure is an issue. Without all the wiring, this will never work correctly.

It is wired correctly now. Originally it had one hot wire going to the thermal protector, then to the clutch, then to ground. Wired this way, if the thermal protector went open it would cut power to the clutch. I wired it wrong when I cut the plug from the original compressor and wired all three to one wire of the aftermarket compressor. I have now wired it the same way the original acura compressor is wired. From the plug, 1 and 3 go to the thermal protector, and 2 goes to the clutch, then to ground. Wired this way, if the thermal protector goes open I assume it tells the ecm to cut power to the clutch.

Is your compressor not getting voltage via the red wire?

That is what the technician is telling me. He said it is not grounded at the ecm, but the ecm was just replaced a couple of weeks ago. Can you explain to me what the multiplex does? The technician said it was in the fuse box on the drivers side and said this may be bad.

He may be correct. The multiplex is like a "central nervous system" for everything electrical on the vehicle. I have seen several bad. A mechanic can check it with a scanner and/or do an input test, but in the end, swapping it with a known good unit is the quickest option.

Below is a copy from Honda that explains how the multiplex works. As you can see, the a/c system and ecm is dependent on it.

Multiplex Integrated Control System

How the Circuit Works

The Multiplex Control System sends digital signals

between control units through shared wires to

reduce the number of wires and reduce the weight

of wire harnesses.

The input signals from each switch are converted

to digital signals within the receiving control unit.

The digital signals are sent from one control unit to

another as serial data over dedicated

communication lines. When the appropriate control

unit receives the digital signal, it converts the

signal back to an operational command, such as

operating a relay. The multiplex control system

schematic shows it's power, grounds, and

communication lines. The ignition key light and

ceiling light are shown because they are used to

blink DTC's when the system is in the

self-diagnostic mode.

There are two different networks within the

multiplex system, they are:

Body Controller Area Network (B-CAN)

Fast Controller Area Network (F-CAN)

The fast controller area network (F-CAN) and body

controller area network (B-CAN) share information

between multiple electronic control units and work

together to form the multiplex system.

B-CAN Network

B-CAN information is transmitted across the

communication lines at a slower speed for

convenience related systems that do not require

the process speed of a fuel control system. The

following control units operate on the B-CAN

network:

Gauge Control Module

Relay Control Module

Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU)

Door Multiplex Control Unit

Combination Switch Control Unit

Audio-HVAC Display Panel

The following systems are related to the B-CAN

network:

Gauges and Indicators

Exterior lights

Entry light control

Interior lights

Safety indicators

Rear window defogger

Horns (security and panic)

Chimes (key, seatbelt and lights ON)

Power windows

Moonroof timer

Wiper/washer

Security

Keyless entry

Power door locks

Climate control

Key interlock

Dash light brightness

F-CAN Network

F-CAN information is transmitted across the

communication lines at a faster speed for ‘‘real

time'' functions such as fuel, emissions, and

traction control data. The following control units

operate on the F-CAN network:

Gauge Control Module

ECM/PCM

Navigation Unit

VSA Modulator-Control Unit

To allow both systems to share information, the

gauge control module translates information from

B-CAN to F-CAN and from F-CAN to B-CAN and

operates on both networks.

Since messages on the F-CAN network are

typically of higher importance, a second wire is

used for communication circuit integrity monitoring.

For safety reasons, a backup circuit is also added

to the headlight and wiper circuits of the B-CAN

network in the event of a network wire, or ECU

failure that would effect the system operation.

The technician is saying on a 2004 TSX he can not test it your post seems to indicate you can. In the picture below, the "Gauge Control Module and Relay Module" are inline with the circuit that got wired wrong. Where are these located? Are they part of the multiplex? If not, could they be bad and not the multiplex? 2004 TSX HVAC wiring

It can be tested with an HDS scanner to an extent, but usually needs to be swapped for a known good one to be certain.

If either of these parts were defective, it would not hinder the a/c from operating.

thebesthonda
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician