Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a acura, that will not start; it will turn but will not crank…

Customer Question
i have a acura, that...
i have a acura, that will not start; it will turn but will not crank
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Acura
6/23/2010
Mechanic for Acura: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

Let's do some simple tests and make sure we do not miss anything.

Turn the ignition switch on and be sure the check engine light comes on for 3 seconds and then goes back out. If it does, check the car for spark. Do this by removing a spark plug and plug the wire back on it. Ground the threaded end of the spark plug to the engine, and then spin the engine over to see if it sparks.

If you are getting spark, remove the gas cap and place your ear next to the spout, have someone turn the ignition switch on. You should hear the fuel pump "hum" for about 3 seconds each time the ignition switch is turned on.

Let me know what you find and I will assist you from there.

I DID ALL of that already, i check the fuel, its getting plenty of fuel all the way thru, its getting great fire, i replaced the timing belt and water pump, i have also replaced the coil, and the crankshaft / cam shaft sensors, we have done the compression test, which is great
Does the check engine light comes on for 3 seconds and then goes back out? How much compression?
yes, i comes on and goes out, its getting 106 compression

That's too low, it should be at least 120. Something is missing because if you have fuel, spark, timing, and compression, it would run.

Why did you replace the timing belt, did it break?

im sorry the copression is 199, i replace the timing belt because we thought it was but it wasnt, so we just replaced it while we were at it

Will it try to run if you spray starting fluid into the throttle body?

I WILL try that
Ok.
well we tryed the starter fluid , and still nothing as far as cranking; we have replace the crankshaft and cam shaft sensors
Ok, then you don't have hot enough spark. If spraying a highly flamable liquid into the breather hose does not ignite, obviously there is a spark issue. Do the spark plug trick I mentioned above. If the plugs are fuel soaked, blow the off with a blower.
OK,
I will be online all day if you need me.
ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX has been in the shop 4 ,9 days now. we are taking all the old gas out and replacing it now, i will be in touch
If it won't run off the starting fluid, it won't run off of fresh gas.
YES, yes you were right the gas didnt do it. is there a way to talk to you directly, ill pay for your time, im spending $71.00 a day on a rentel car. i also need to know will the computer cause it not run if it is bad, we a re getting great fire and great gas flow always thur

Justanswer will not permit outside the site contact. Did you remove the plugs to see if they were fuel soaked?

If you are getting spark and compression as you stated, it would have tried to run off the starting fluid.....spark+flammable liquid=boom.

yes the plugs are out and were getting soaked, he has them out now and has blown them off. what about the computer part of it
Yes, the computer could be the problem if the plugs continue to get soaked. It mat be telling the injectors to stay open too long, flooding the engine. I would blow the cylinders out, blow the plugs and retry. If they fuel soak again, it could be a bad computer.
we will try the plugs again, i will be in touch
Ok.
well we put another computer in , and no luck. and now the plugs are not getting soaked either. im lost
Try the starting fluid again now that the plugs are dry.
OK
If it does not try to run with the starting fluid, we have a firing, timing or compression issue.
ok we will try the starting fluid after lunch
Ok, thanks.
WE TRY THE STARTER FLUID AND IT DIDNT WORK; we are at a lost now

Then you still have a weak spark, timing or compression problem...that's the only possibilities if it won't run off starting fluid. It doesn't even try to hit at all?

Tell me some history, what originally happened to this car?

the engine will turn, theres plenty of fire, theres plenty of fuel, the engine justs continues the rotate without firing on up. i was ridding about 2 saturdays ago, and i went up a still hill across some railroad tracks, soon after crossing the tracks the car started put-putt-putt, then cut off, and hasnt fired up since. the car has 182,000 miles on it, and i really nerver had any trouble with it, we've done copression test, fuel pressue test ( its at 40lbs), we have great fire coming from the pluggs; have can we check the engine , it dosent have a com puter connection

Have you checked to see if the catalytic converter was clogged? With 182k...it may be.

Was the check engine light on before it died?

yes
Yes to what?....I asked you 2 questions.
yes the engine light was on, i had it check 5 months ago , it was a code 15 i think, something about something needed to be clean some valve, but the mechanic said it was nothing to trouble the car, and no the catalyic hasnt been check or changed

Code 15 is valuable information. When you replaced the coil, did you replace the ICM as well?

graphic

i might have been wrong with that code, but it was on because of the egm passage needed cleaning; as far as the coil, we put the coil package on
The egr would be a code 12. Disconnect the catalytic converter and see if it will start. If all your other tests are accurate, that's all that's left.

they disconnected the catalytic converter, and still nothing, before they did that they took out all the plugs , and then try to crank the car, and a little fire shot up out the 1st port. where is the connection to hook up to snap- on computer check

There is no diagnostic port for this car. CLICK HERE to see how to get the codes.
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
ok, thanks, for these codes, i will be back in touch when the shop opens in the morning; you are a true blessing.
My pleasure. Thank you also.
the shop close for the weekend on friday, he thought the disturtor was sheared, but it was find also, we have tried every thing possiable, we got the great fire, we got great fuel, we got great compression, and all it will do is spind over, but won't fire up. we put new timing belt, coil package, computer, plugs, crankshaft- cam shaft sensor, new fuel, new fuel filter, adjusted the valves, new map sensor, dropped the cataylic converter, and still nothing after 2 weeks. im lost. i will get back to you tomarrow, and except your answer, thanks
Have you swapped the distributor yet?
no, we didnt, he said the distributer is ok
There's no way to know for sure without swapping it.
today we took the distributer out ,and we found that it was broken from the rotor, there were no screws holding it , the cap was cracked from it spinning loosely; we will have the new parts in tomarrow
Ok.
it finally fired up after the parts were put on . THANK GOD.... and hank you for all of your help
My pleasure, I'm glad you got it.
WELL I GUESS WE SPOKE TO FAST; we put the distributor cap and button on, and it cranked, we shut it off down right away; he put everything back together, and now its not cranking again...how about that
Sounds like a day in my life, lol! Did you pull the distributor back apart to see if anything went wrong? Check the spark at the plugs.