Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My air conditioning doesnt work. I recently had my freon recharged.

Customer Question
My air conditioning doesn't work...
My air conditioning doesn't work. I recently had my freon recharged. It worked fine for a few months, then it wouldn't get cold. I took it back and they said they had to add more freon...they didn't say anything about finding any leaks. It is not working now. Just warm air coming in. Help!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Acura
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Mechanic for Acura: Steve, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician
If it worked fine for a couple months and stopped would think you do have a leak in the system somewhere especially since that added more refrigerant.
I would suggest taking it back and make sure they do inspect the system for leaks.
They said they didn't find a leak. Their reason for adding more refrigerant was they initially didn't add enough to produce the right pressure for the system (or somthing like that). Isn't it a requirement to check for leaks before adding more refrigerant?
It should be,yes. Our shop always adds a fluorescent dye foe leak checking.
If there were no leaks it should not have needed to recharged in the first place.
So is this the only reason why my AC wouldn't be working? Are there no other possible root causes?
does the compressor come on at all? The hot water valve could also cause a problem if it does not work properly. That also should have been checked when the air conditioning was checked.
I will definitely check if the compressor comes on. But from the sound of it, I am going to have to take it in. Thanks for your help!
No problem.