Acura

2004 MDX: My fan (the one behind the glove box) was making noise, so I…

I have a 2004 MDX...
I have a 2004 MDX. My fan (the one behind the glove box) was making noise, so I removed the glove box and can now see into the circular fan. Inside is a dead mouse. I tried to reach in and grab him, through the square slots in the fan housing, with a specialty tool, but he is stuck in there. I might be able to yank him out, but am thinking I... Read full answer
I have a 2004 MDX. My fan (the one behind the glove box) was making noise, so I removed the glove box and can now see into the circular fan. Inside is a dead mouse. I tried to reach in and grab him, through the square slots in the fan housing, with a specialty tool, but he is stuck in there. I might be able to yank him out, but am thinking I would like to get in there to clean the fan assembly and housing real good and to see if he did any other damage. I see a few loose pieces of insulation, so he may have done some damage, not sure. I'm wondering what the best way to get to the fan housing is. Thanks.
3/11/2010
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

You will need to remove the ac housing with evaporator in order to remove the blower motor housing. You can get a shop to evacuate the AC system for you and then once done with re-installing components, have them recharge the system for you for one hour labor

1. Remove the front passenger's airbag, as follows:
    1. Disconnect the battery negative cable and wait at least 3 minutes before beginning work.
      WARNING Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts. If the glove box swings down without any support, the hinges can be overextended and damaged. To prevent damage to glove box hinge, use a piece of foam or a bundle of shop towels to support it.
    2. While holding the glove box, remove the glove box stop on each side, then detach the lock from the damper. Remove the bolts, then remove the glove box. Remove the bolts, then remove the damper.
    3. Disconnect the connector between the front passenger's airbag 4P connector and SRS main harness 4P connector.
    4. Remove the four mounting nuts from the bracket. Cover the lid and dashboard with a cloth, and pry carefully with a screwdriver to lift the front passenger's airbag out of the dashboard.
      NOTE The airbag lid has pawls on its side which attach it to the dashboard.

2. Remove the evaporator, as follows:
    1. Recover the refrigerant with a recovery/recycling/charging station.
    2. Disconnect the suction line (A) and receiver line (B) from the evaporator. Remove the mounting nut. Plug or cap the lines immediately after disconnecting them to avoid moisture and dust contamination.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    3. Fig. Disconnect the suction line (A) and receiver line (B) from the evaporator

4. Remove the plastic cross brace, then remove the glove box frame.
    5. Remove the wire harness connectors (A). Disconnect the evaporator temperature sensor connector (B). Remove the self-tapping screws, the mounting nuts, the mounting bolts, the bracket (C) and the evaporator (D).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the wire harness connectors (A). Disconnect the evaporator temperature sensor connector (B). Remove the self-tapping screws, the mounting nuts, the mounting bolts, the bracket (C) and the evaporator (D)

3. Disconnect the connectors (A) from the blower motor, the power transistor, and the recirculation control motor, then remove the wire harness clips (B). Remove the mounting nuts, the mounting bolt and the blower unit (C).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Disconnect the connectors (A) from the blower motor, the power transistor, and the recirculation control motor, then remove the wire harness clips (B). Remove the mounting nuts, the mounting bolt and the blower unit (C)

4. If necessary, disassemble the blower unit. Note these items when overhauling the blower unit:

The recirculation control motor (A), the power transistor (B) and the blower motor (C) can be replaced without removing the blower unit. Before reassembly, make sure that the recirculation control linkage and doors move smoothly without binding. After reassembly, make sure the recirculation control motor runs smoothly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The recirculation control motor (A), the power transistor (B) and the blower motor (C) can be replaced without removing the blower unit

To install:

1. Install the unit in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:
    1. Make sure that there is no air leakage.

2. Install the evaporator in the reverse order of removal, and note these items.
    1. If you're installing a new evaporator, add refrigerant oil (DENSO ND-OIL 8).
    2. Replace the O-rings with new ones at each fitting, and apply a thin coat of refrigerant oil before installing them. Be sure to use the right O-rings for HFC-134a (R-134a) to avoid leakage.
    3. Immediately after using the oil, reinstall the cap on the container, and seal it to avoid moisture absorption.
    4. Do not spill the refrigerant oil on the vehicle; it may damage the paint; if the refrigerant oil contacts the paint, wash it off immediately.
    5. Make sure that there is no air leakage.
    6. Evacuate and charge the system, as outlined in this section.

3. Install a news front passenger airbag as follows:
    1. Place the new front passenger's airbag into the dashboard. Tighten the front passenger's airbag mounting nuts, and install the harness clamp.
    2. Connect the front passenger's airbag 4P connector to the SRS main harness 4P connector, then reinstall the glove box.
    3. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
    4. After installing the airbag, confirm proper system operation: Turn the ignition switch ON (II); the SRS indicator light should come on for about 6 seconds and then go off.
    5. Enter the anti-theft code for the radio and the navigation system, then enter the radio station presets
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

sorry, I misinterpreted it. I thought you meant that you had already dropped the fan motor and couldnt reach the mouse. Yes you can remove the connector, and then remove the retaining screws to the blower motor and drop the blower motor with the housing still in place.

I'll try that, thanks. I'm a weekend mechanic with a lot of years experience, but removing an airbag and evacuating the A/C is new for me. Thanks.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I bought a replacement HFL bluetooth module for my 2006
I bought a replacement HFL bluetooth module for my 2006 Acura RL. Where on my car is the HFL system? Was watching youtube and thought it was in ceiling part where lights/sunroof controls are (in video… read more
adam warren
adam warren
Master auto tec,
2008 mdx fan stay on and want turn off. No I am not I took
No I am not I took it to a mechanic he said it was a sensor two weeks later same problem … read more
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Owner,
My cooling fan front and back running in Acura MDX run when
My cooling fan front and back running in Acura MDX run when I turn my engine off … read more
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Stop searching for answers—
2008 Acura MDX Driver side front window motor stopped
2008 Acura MDX Driver side front window motor stopped operating suddenly. I have removed regulator, and no obvious issue. No difference in response with new (reman motor)....tested motor was good. Ver… read more
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
ASE Certified Technician & Shop Owner,
2004 Acura MDX Air Conditioner blows cold, then hot, then
2004 Acura MDX Air Conditioner blows cold, then hot, then cold randomly. Worked part time yesterday, not at all today.… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
mdx: my mdx hood latch is stuck shut - it may have been in
my mdx hood latch is stuck shut - it may have been in the closed position when I had to slam it shut.… read more
Acura Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
MDX: what does the disgnostic code YOP - R/C Engine Starter
My 2008 Acura MDX Technology battery goes completely dead every morning. When I jump start, It works fine all day. I have replaced the battery with a brand new one but that does not solve the problem.… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
mdx: How do you replace Blower Motor Control Module | Resistor
How do you replace Blower Motor Control Module | Resistor on a 2002 acura mdx? I was able to replace the rear resistor by taking apart center console. Now my front looks like it gave out and can't see… read more
Automotive Repair Shop Manager,
N/A
MDX: I have a 2002 Acura MDX that my brother is driving while
I have a 2002 Acura MDX that my brother is driving while I'm away with the Navy. Today he called to tell me that while he was driving there was a "rumbling sound" coming from roughly where the heat co… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
mdx: Now my MDX 2001 wont start. My son was driving it in
Now my MDX 2001 won't start. My son was driving it in the mountains in Oregon and it began acting funny. He pulled over and stopped it and then it wouldn't start. The dashboard lights are on. Would it… read more
Automotive Repair Shop Manager,
N/A
Acura MDX: Had to replace battery in 2005 Acura MDX Accidentally
Had to replace battery in 2005 Acura MDX Accidentally crossed + - Radio completely dead no other electrical problems. Radio fuse checks ok. Suggestions for troubleshooting… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
Acura MDX: I have a 2004 MDX. Is the air mixer motor and linkage
I have a 2004 MDX. Is the air mixer motor and linkage accessible from behind the glovebox or will I need to remove the center console to access this part?… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
Stop searching for answers—
91 legend L: acura..cruise control..passenger side engine compartment
my acura 91 legend L has been 'diagnosed' as a cruise control unit failure and told it requires removal of AC unit on passenger side engine compartment to replace. (don't know if brake switch was chec… read more
BigBob
BigBob
Service Manager,
This question has been asked before and I want to view the photos that
This question has been asked before and I want to view the photos that came along with the answer. The question was posted and answered 653 days ago. A techinician named Mauricio answered the question… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
my Radiator Fan..relay..pulling radiator and oil temp sensors
my Radiator Fan and Condensor Fan are stuck on. pulling fuse#13(condensor fan)turns both fans off. different relay or pulling radiator and oil temp sensors did not shut fans off. is fcu or fan timer n… read more
thebesthonda
thebesthonda
ASE MasterTechnician,
2006 Acura: cabin air filter..TL...glove box and the kick panel
I want to change the cabin air filter on my 2006 Acura TL. I have removed the glove box and the kick panel behind it, But I can't determine where the filter is or how to get to it. Any help would be a… read more
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
Master Tech,
1997 acura: disable..tl..alarm..its own if you leave the car unlocked
how can i disable my 1997 acura 3.2 tl alarm? it goes off on its own if you leave the car unlocked!… read more
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Acura Mechanic,
Trunk..the lever in the center compartment of the rear seats
trunk wont open. i tried the switch in the glove box as well as the remote and the switch on the door. the only way it opens is the lever in the center compartment of the rear seats.… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,