Acura

Hello, Last Friday, my Acura 2005 MDX was a total lose of…

Customer Question
Hello, Last Friday, my Acura 2005...

Last Friday, my Acura 2005 MDX was a total lose of power and had to pulled over when I was driving in local residential area then waited a few minutes because of surprise power failure. I then restarted and was OK for a while then happed several times on Friday and no engine light was on at that time.

What is... Read full answer

What is happening on my car and is that be transmission failure?

Please advise…

Thanks in advance,
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Acura
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/12/2009
Mechanic for Acura: MASTER TECH, Acura Technician replied 10 years ago
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

-do you have any after market accessors

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

what is mean any after market accessors ?

like amp's any none factory parts.

we have a known problem with our positive battery cables for corroding and the end will not make contact and may cause your issues

when this happend did you try and jump start it ?

no.. i can restarted the car and driving a little while then lose power on card and even shifting gear in different but it did not help at all.

ok can you look at the battery connections please.

make sure they are clean and not damaged

i went to local honda dealer ship and stated that it was internal transmission failure and needs to be replaced. is that true?

that does not sound right i have not heard of that ? i work at acura and have yet to hear that.

when the failure happened was the a/c on and was this at night or day.

im wondering if the alternator had a spike. did they scan the computer for codes ?

I think the alternator might has a spike it was suggested by toll truck driver and probable honda service scanned the computer for codes .. all i know is, they recommanded to replace transmiision and recheck..

well i would recommend you drive the vehicle and keep an eye on it. if the problem persists then contact acura and set up a apt to see what is going on.

the 05 mdx we don't have a lot of problems with the 04 and earlier we do.

how much replacement transmission will cost and what is warranty on it at acura service?
Around 5000.00 and 3 year 36k warranty

in case, if I have to replace transmission , should I done in honda service or acura service?

since acura service area is 80 miles aways from my town.

Acura since your warranty will through them. So if your out of your area any Acura dealer will be able to make the repairs
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Thanks for all your answers.
Glad I was able to help you out today.
Dino
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I will be driving on the highway in cruise and suddenly the
I will be driving on the highway in cruise and suddenly the transmission goes out of gear and I have no power. Most of the time this lasts a few seconds and recovers after touching the brake however r… read more
Retired,
N/A
I'm having a starting issue with my 2012 Acura MDX. It
Hello, I'm having a starting issue with my 2012 Acura MDX. It cranks but doesn't start. Initially it would start for a second or two then die. Now it just cranks. Any idea what's causing this? … read more
Andrew
Andrew
Level A Technician,
Technical Certificate
2014 acura mdx. I just changed the battery with a battery
2014 acura mdx. I just changed the battery with a battery from advance auto and after the battery change the only power to the car was the passenger seat. called acura dealer and they said to disconne… read more
Acura Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
MDX: I have a 2007 Acura MDX. I will go to start my car &
I have a 2007 Acura MDX. I will go to start my car & it is dead . no power to anything. Then about 20 - 30 minutes later it will start up. This has happened several times in the last month.… read more
Acura Technician,
MDX: I get p0740 code on my 2001 Acura Mdx. I reset it, because
I get p0740 code on my 2001 Acura Mdx. I reset it, because transmission shifting normal. How soon the code can come back if there is real problem with the converter?… read more
Retired,
N/A
MDX: My 2002 MDX is scaring me! Last week my wife and I were
My 2002 MDX is scaring me! Last week my wife and I were in Panama City Beach, Fl., on our way home and we thought we smelled something burning....a few minutes later, we saw a puff of smoke coming out… read more
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791
TECHNICIAN,
high school then 1 year of college
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
MDX: Hi - girlfriend has a 2005 Acura MDX. We are aware of
Hi - girlfriend has a 2005 Acura MDX. We are aware of a trans recall and hope this is related. Car suddenly loses power, slows to about 10mph even with pedal down, check engine light comes on along wi… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
not sure if there is a key immobilizer problem or not. 2002
not sure if there is a key immobilizer problem or not. 2002 MDX intermittently car does not start. engine turns over, just doesnt star. i have noticed the green key light on the dash is NOT illuminate… read more
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH
Acura Technician,
Acura Acura: The power steering on my 2005 Acura MDX (98000
The power steering on my 2005 Acura MDX (98000 miles) is making a horrible noise when turning the wheel, usually starts when I've been driving for about 30 minutes, then lasts the rest of the day. Pow… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
2004 MDX: start my..wouldnt turn..keys out and back in and this time
I tried to start my 2004 MDX. Tried several times but it wouldn't turn over at all. So I pulled the keys out and back in and this time it started. Is there a problem?… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
2004 Acura MDX: sporadic..the voice for the navigation..re-starting
MY 2004 Acura MDX has had sporadic failure of speakers, regardless of whether it is radio, CD or even the voice for the navigation. Usually it would come on after several minutes or after re-starting … read more
Kyle N.
Kyle N.
ASE Certified Tech,
2008 Acura MDX: car, turned the key and the car would not start
I have a 2008 Acura MDX. Twice now in the past week I have gotten into the car, turned the key and the car would not start. Just a 'tick, tick, tick, tick' sound. The last time I waited a few hours an… read more
Kyle N.
Kyle N.
ASE Certified Tech,
Stop searching for answers—
2002 Acura MDX: second gear..rev..loses power..the transmission fluid
Have another question regarding our 2002 Acura MDX. When I am driving and it goes into second gear, once in a while it seems to rev and the car loses power for a couple of seconds and then it goes int… read more
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH
Acura Technician,
2005 MDX: timing belt replaced..acura..100,300 miles
when should i get the timing belt replaced on my 2005 MDX acura. 100,300 miles. How much should it cost?… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
2001 Acura MDX-Touring: The main Gasket on thre tranny..light comes
I have a 2001 Acura MDX-Touring. The main Gasket on thre tranny was just changed a week ago at a local tranny shop. The last few days my "check" yelloy light comes on. I called a mechanic and advised … read more
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH
Acura Technician,
2006 acura mdx: of the torque converter..my local transmission shop
I have a 2006 acura mdx wth silppage of the torque converter. should I take it back to the dealer dor repairs or should I go to my local transmission shop?… read more
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH
Acura Technician,
2003 acura mdx: wouldnt start..aaa came out, tested battery
I have an 2003 acura mdx with 144k miles on it. Recently, I tried it start the car and it wouldn't start. AAA came out, tested battery, which was low, and replaced it. About 2 days later, I was trying… read more
Kyle N.
Kyle N.
ASE Certified Tech,
2004 Acura MDX: highway..towing..sprayed..Coolant was also running
Hello, My wife was on her way to work this morning and her 2004 Acura MDX broke down on the highway. Prior to the arrival of the towing company, I checked the fluids because there was oil sprayed all … read more
rubasu
rubasu
Acura Technician,