Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

I am using TurboTax and mistakenly didn't take my full RMD…

Customer Question
I am using TurboTax...

I am using TurboTax and mistakenly didn't take my full RMD and have shown this on my in progress return and am asking the IRS to forgive my error without penalty. My return isn't showing any change in taxes due and is in fact showing a large refund which I know is incorrect. What should I do?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Financial Software
3/21/2018
Tech Support Rep: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Go through the interview questions for the RMD again and make sure you are answering all of the questions correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have gone through the questions three times and verified that all questions are answered correctly.

Are you using the online OR CD/download version of TurboTax?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
CD/download

Is Form 5329 part of your tax return?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Form 5329 is part of the return. My original question: The proposed completed return shows a large refund which I know is not correct because it does not include the full RMD required amount as income and I am hesitant to file that way. Should the return show this or the full required RMD since I am in the process of withdrawing the additional required amount?

Is 2017 the first year you are taking your RMD?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No,

At this point, I will opt out so another expert can assist.

Tech Support Rep: Robert M., Consultant replied 1 month ago
Robert M., Consultant

have you filed the return yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This runaround is ridiculous with you not answering my question and continually trying to get me to pony up more $ for a phone call. I am definitely not satisfied with your service. Charge me the $5 and not a penny more.

it would work easier if we could see what you are talking about.

would you like to post screen shots of every relevant form in the turbo tax

then i would be happy to answer your questions assuming that i dont have to ask you what your own 1099 forms said. which i probably would.

this stuff is not simple. i can not give you an answer based on the extremely limited data you have given. basically you have said "i put it in and it came out wrong"

i need to know exactly what you put in and exactly where you put it and exactly how it came out.

Robert M., Consultant