Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

I finished my tax report and i made a mistake. I don't know…

Customer Question
I finished my tax...

I finished my tax report and i made a mistake. I don't know how to correct it. Can you help?

Accountant's Assistant: The Financial Software Technician will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have "other income, line 21 which I entered. In reading further I should have entered it as a small business/self employment.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Financial Software Technician should be aware of?

I completed all the way through payment when I realized my mistake

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Financial Software
3/17/2018
Tech Support Rep: PDtax, CPA firm owner replied 3 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.

If the returns have been e-filed, you can do two things. File a paper amended return, correcting the error and I assume paying some tax. Your state return will have to be amended, too, as the change you need will create a deduction from adjusted gross income for some of the self employment tax due. Paper amendments are the best way to resolve this now.

Or, do nothing and wait for a bill from IRS (your state will send their after that one). This might take a few months, and there will be an interest and penalty charge.

Once the e-file is sent in, paper returns to fix mistakes are the only way you can amend yourself.

I hope this meets your needs. Your software will have the amendment forms as part of the software. Some software starts the process as simply as an 'amend' pull down menu. Positive feedback, five stars being best, ***** ***** appreciated. I'mCustomer

I didn’t e file yet. I need to remove the amount that is in line 21 so it doesn’t get added into the total

Easy. Go to the 1099-misc input form in the software.

On our office software (yours may vary), there is a box for where you want this income reported.

Let's say you had nonemployee comp reported on box 7 of form 1099-misc. your software should have an accompanying box or link to where you want that income reported. You can choose other income subject to SE tax if you don't want to complete a Schedule C (if you have no other expenses). Or, you can choose to link this income to a schedule C where you can report this income and any deductions.

Thanks again. I'mCustomer

Thanks but I fixed it