Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

I didn't file 2016 tax return. I only got it ready to file.

I didn't file 2016 tax...
I didn't file 2016 tax return. I only got it ready to file. There were complications. So, I didn't file it. Now, I was about to E-File the 2017 Federal and State Returns, when this message occurred: "In order to verify your identity, enter your exact AGI for 2016 in the box. Since you filed with us last year, we've already entered the AGI 18,164 in the box. Entering an incorrect AGI will delay the processing of your 2017 tax return." Now, I don't know what to do. I could file the 2016 with the 2017. Maybe, but there are still complications with the 2016. I could never file the 2016 tax return. I could fix the 2016 so that there are no complications. Phew. Does the IRS use a machine to process these and verifying identity will just cause a delay? Can I file on paper to avoid the whole thing?
3/13/2018
Robert M., Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question. All that I ask is to please give me a 5 star rating when satisfied

if you never actually filed the 2016 than you can put 0 in that line

the irs will not "delay" it. they will kick it back unread if it does not match what THEY (not turbotax) think it should be.

and yes you certainly can mail the entire thing and not worry about that aspect of it.

Robert M., Consultant