Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

My question is about IRS IP PIN numbers. After you have been…

My question is about IRS...
My question is about IRS IP PIN numbers. After you have been put on a list of those under the protection plan, do they ever take you off the list? (I am not confusing this with e-filing PIN numbers.)About three years ago my wife was put on a list. We didn't know it and still don't know why she is on the list. We discovered she had an IP PIN when filling out the screen on a major tax software site. The screen would not let us proceed until we found the IP PIN and entered it.To our knowledge we have never received the notice from the IRS giving us a new IP PIN every year. I can't remember where we found it last year. I have gone through everything I can find online and have tried to retrieve the pin on the IRS site but it says it had a technical error or my answers weren't sufficient.So I don't know if my wife no longer gets IP PIN numbers issued to her, or if the tax software no longer interfaces with IRS to know she has one. I have asked the tax company how their form entry check works, but have not gotten an answer yet.The clincher is in the past, the entry screen forced me to enter the IP PIN number for my wife (but not for me). THIS year the screen allows me to proceed while leaving the IP PIN blank for my wife. So I don't know if it is the IRS or the tax company that has changed.Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciate.Jeff
I heard from tax analyst at tax company She saidyou can just submit the return without IP PIN. If there is an IP PIN required then the IRS will let me know once the return is e filed. It sounds like she doesn't need one..Does that sound right?
3/9/2018
cvd4311
cvd4311, CIT Analyst
  • Received a CP01A Notice
  • Opted-in to receive an IP PIN
  • Previously participated in the IP PIN Pilot Program as a resident of FL, GA or DC, and have an online account
  • Tried to e-file your tax return and it was ‘rejected because you didn't include an IP PIN’

If you need help finding it go to this link: https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

You do not need to include the pin anymore so the Analyst is correct on that.

Great! Thank you so much. (It makes me uncomfortable when the analysts has to say I'll check on that.)The first we knew about an IP PIN was a couple years ago or so the tax software would not accept a screen without my wife entering the IP PIN. Have never received a notice. Oh well, I am searching the Internet and asking questions. That is all one can do. Thanks again!

You are very welcome.

Please RATE 4 stars or above and I will close the ticket.

cvd4311
cvd4311, CIT Analyst