Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

Is there a way for someone to access a QuickBooks account…

Customer Question
Hi. Is there a...

Hi. Is there a way for someone to access a QuickBooks account but not be able to enter or change anything?

Accountant's Assistant: The Financial Software Technician will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am currently the only one responsible for using our nonprofit organization's QuickBooks account. A board member would like to access the account to be familiar with how the books are kept. I have been advised to not let him be able to enter anything or change anything I do, but if he could be able to just look at the account he may be happy.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Financial Software
11/20/2017
Tech Support Rep: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below.

Well, the answer is yes and no. It depends on what version of Quickbooks you are using, which one does your nonprofit use?

We use QuickBooks Pro Plus 2015.
No, I don't want to pay for a phone call.

No problem, in my first response to you I explained that you can ignore those auto-requests by the website if you do not want them.

Unfortunately, Pro and Premiere versions of Quickbooks cannot set a user to "Read Only" mode, only the Enterprise edition can do that. Does he need to always have access, or can you just allow them to view it with you on a scheduled basis? Because then, you could share your screen with him and he would be able to see it, but not do anything, so you can still say he does not have access to change anything.

he could not access it from his computer, he would have to look at mine?

Well, in order to ensure that he could not change anything, you could share your screen(not remote control of your PC). That way he could SEE what you see, but not do anything. However, you would need to be present to change the screen, etc., to show him what he needs to see. There is no other way to let him see it in quickbooks, without him having some type of access--without getting the Enterprise version.

Okay, thank you!

No problem!

If you need help with that process, let me know. Please don't forget to rate my service to you at the top of the page :)

Did you have any follow up questions?

If you don't, please take 2 seconds to rate my service with the 5-star options at the top of the page and hit submit so I am credited with helping you this evening :)