Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

How do you categorize a business vehicle in quickbooks? Do I

Customer Question
included as fixed asset? Other...
how do you categorize a business vehicle in quickbooks? Do I included as fixed asset? Other asset? or other current asset?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Financial Software
or do I need to chose a new category
10/7/2017
Tech Support Rep: emc011075, Other replied 3 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Other

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Vehicles are generally a fixed asset just like building, equipment, land and such. Current asset is generally your account bank account, petty cash, accounts receivable.

got it. What would you put under other assets?

Intangible asset, like goodwill or other intangible asset. Something that you would normally amortize, not depreciate.

I see. So I am trying to enter what I put in as a down payment for a work truck. I paid 25,000 down and the total cost was 51,126. I invested the 25,000 from my own personal money into the business. So I am crediting the owner equity investment account with 25,000 and then debiting that account to a a fixed asset account. Is that correct. See attached.

The cost of the vehicle - the fixed asset is 51,126. The difference between the cost and down payment goes to loans. You are financing the remaining balance, correct?

correct

You will have to set up a loan account that will be reduced as you repay it over time. The loan account will have a credit balance and when you make a payment you will credit your cash and debit your loan account.

I see

The value of your asset will not change until you sell or otherwise dispose the asset. You will record annual depreciation to offset the value. In order to correctly depreciate it you have to start with the correct value. Some of my clients do the same mistake recording loan repayments as increase in fixed asset. That's wrong.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I'll follow-up with you on this a bit later. I have to leave in a few min.

Ok. No problem.

I created a loan account. Is that what you meant? I included the full cost of the truck? Is that correct or should I have included only the financed amount?

A loan is type A/P (accounts payable). It is not an asset. Also, the amount of the loan is not 51126, it is only 26126.

You debit fixed asset for 51126, credit equity for 25K and loan account (A/P) for 26126.

ok. When you say "credit equity for 25K" do you mean the equity investment account correct?
Also. Do I need to create a separate account for fixed asset and record the total cost of the Truck for depreciation purposes?

With equity account I mean owner's equity account - your basis in business. You will have one account for vehicle and sub account for depreciation. Like here under fixed asset: http://rppc.net/images/Marked-Balance-Inv.2.jpg

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Other