Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

I have a problem with Turbotax. For some reason my entries…

I have a problem with...
I have a problem with Turbotax. For some reason my entries into their forms / questionnaires result in incomplete / incorrect results, such as a 1099-r rollover of $ 10,000 from my employer sponsored 401K into a regular IRA shows as a receipt of a taxable pension, and does not recognize the rollover, for which I have the 5498 as proof. Turbotax says someone hacked into my turbotax account and they can fix this if I buy from them the SSL protection. My employer's IT specialist says that is nonsense because it is the website that has to provide the security, not the user of that website. Websites of SSL vendors also state that the SSL is for the website holder to protect its users. Turbotax insists that I have to buy it. Who is right?
If that mistake cannot be fixed, I stand to pay a lot of income taxes for money I only rolled over.
10/6/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Other

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Turbo tax is a tax preparation software. It is only a tool to help you to prepare your tax return and it cannot be hacked. If somebody hacked your online turbo tax account and stole your personal info and your tax return had been rejected, that's a different story.

The software operates on a very simple principle. You tell the software what you want to do and the program will do it for you. If you are not getting the result you want it is because of your data entry, not be cause somebody hacked your information. If you do not like the tool you are using, than change it.

That being said, what is the distribution code in box 7 on your 1099R? I am guessing it is not G for rollover. Have you entered 5498 form?

The distribution box shows G. The software does not provide the option to enter the 5498. It did so last year and before. The person who claimed that my turbotax account had been hacked, was the customer service specialist that I called, I got a case number, and it was he who insisted that my laptop has no effective security and that they can only help me if I purchased (from them!) the SSL for $100 for one year. When I asked why me, not the website owner )intuit) he just kept repeating like a robot that I must buy the SSL or they cannot help me.
Apart from that issue, there is also an interest payment of $2100 I am supposed to have received, which I have not as I have no savings accounts, investments other then gains in the 401 k that stay with the 401k.
My employers IT specialist has spent 45 minutes to completely review my laptop and declared that I have absolutely no security issue and no malware was found.

G is for trustee to trustee rollover. In that case you do not need 5498. Your program is probably fine you just need to figure out how to "talk to it". I have been preparing taxes for years and still have occasional disagreement with my software.

Rollover will show up on your 1040 on the first page but only as distribution, not as taxable distribution. Is the amount included in your taxable income on line 15B?

it is a trustee to trustee rollover. Re 1040: I have not yet come to produce that page, therefore I do not know how it will show up. It can only be a distribution.

Why do you than think is incorrect? The only way to review your entries is to preview your return and check it.

Do yo mean that I should proceed with turbotax to the point where the return is produced and then see what is in it? and still incorrect, I just do not send it off and see what has to be done to correct it?
But my original question also was if they can charge me with the SSl when that is not my responsibility.

It does not matter what Turbo tax will sell you (or do not sell you), you are still the preparer of your tax return and responsible for what's on it. Turbo tax may help you with simple audit but it will not take any responsibility. TT is not a preparer, it is a sophisticated tool used to prepare tax return.

Regarding your previous question, you have to enter all the information you have, preview your return, verify all entries and than you can e-file it. You may not understand everything on the tax return but at least you should be able to verify your income, taxes withheld and credits, if you are claiming any.

OK, thank you so much. I will proceed and see what the outcome is. Have a nice evening, Ms. Eva.

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any questions.

emc011075
emc011075, Other
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Other