Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I've got my Quicken Canadian on my Windows 10 laptop. When I

Customer Question

HI again,
I've got my Quicken Canadian on my Windows 10 laptop. When I try to open a file, an error message says something like: " this file is either read-only or you do not have permission to open it, do you want to copy it to another location? "I've right clicked the properties of the file, gone to security and found that my user acct as well as the computer in general have all the permissions.When I say Yes and try to copy to a new location, as soon as I hit Save, quicken just closes.I get a popup offer to buy Canadian Quicken 2017 but I'm afraid that may not be the fix and may make it worse if the 2015 files need to be converted.Can you make any suggestion? Thank You!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Copy it to another location through windows not quicken

Rename this new file while leaving the .qdf extension the sAmerican

Double click on this new file to open it in quicken

If that does not work the file is corrupt

Try restoring a backup

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you mean by "Rename this new file while leaving the .qdf extension the sAmerican" ?I changed the name of my file. And received a message saying this was in the wrong format, it would need to be opened in Quicken 2004, then converted to Quicken 2015… I'm not sure how this happened.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
trying again with the main file, I tried to copy it tthen paste in another folder, but pasting causes popup dialogue: first popup: you'll need administrator permission to open this.
- then I hit the button with the windows shield on it to continue
-next dialog box says :you need permission from jeffcarbon1x\Jeffrey.
THE NAME of the computer is jeffcarbon1x, my name is Jeffreybut I don't know how to give myself this permission.
What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
FOF KAREN JOINSON ONLY PLEASE! THANKS!!!
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
can you please send this to ***** *****?