Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

I need to resend my 2016 tax returns to the IRS and state of

Customer Question
Michigan. How do I do...
I need to resend my 2016 tax returns to the IRS and state of Michigan. How do I do this?
JA: The Financial Software Technician will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The IRS rejected my return. I applied for an extension and spoke with the IRS this morning. How do refile my returns?
JA: Is there anything else the Financial Software Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Sorry I type slow. I have Parkinson's disease. I paid a back tax that was owed from a mistake on my 2014 return. They misapplied it
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Financial Software
7/14/2017
Tech Support Rep: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

What software or program did you use to attempt to e-file before?

If it was TurboTax (so many of their users come to JustAnswer for assistance) then you can follow these steps:

If you haven't already opened your rejected return, now's the time to do so.

Follow any "fix-it" directions you see in your program (not all rejections will have this). Otherwise, navigate to the program area to address the cause of the rejection, then proceed to the final step.

Note: If the info you originally entered is correct, you won't be able to e-file. There likely is a data mismatch at the government, a dependent that's already been claimed, or some other "unfixable" situation that blocks you from e-filing.

In these cases, we recommend paper-filing by mail rather than wasting additional time trying to "fix" something that is beyond your control.

Next Re-file your return

After completing the previous steps, you're ready to re-file.

In your TurboTax program, click File in the upper-right area (mobile devices: tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).

Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

TaxAct

Thanks, ***** ***** check their info....................................

TaxAct had little info :

After correcting errors, print your return and review it before resubmitting. Then repeat the Filing steps to resubmit your return.

Basically open your file and fix whatever caused the problem then follow the steps to file.

They did add this:

You will not be billed again for resubmitting a rejected return unless you corrected your Social Security Number. You may be prompted for your credit card number, but you will not be charged. If you did change the SSN of the primary taxpayer on the return, you will be billed again. After resubmitting, contact Customer Support for a billing correction.

Just watch to see if they actually charge you then contact TaxACt directly for a correction.

Hope that fixes everything for you.

Hi, I am checking back to see if you completed the filing.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4