Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

I enter my son's taxes using tax act every year, due to his

Customer Question

I enter my son's taxes using tax act every year, due to his working out of town constantly. In error I typed a wrong digit in his user name for his 2015 taxes without realizing it, until I attempted to retrieve his 2015 taxes for this year's 2016 taxes. IRS rejected the Federal & State because the username did not match. I just needed the AGI for the return. I couldn't remember the pin # i sued for him either. All copies of the return for last year were given to him, he has moved & is working out of town & everything was already to go, paid for with my credit card, Now I can't submit it. I'm in a panic. He is not getting a refund & has to pay, so this needs to be filed before the deadline & he is going to kill me, because I didn't keep an extra copy of the 2015 return I gave him. I don't know what to do or if you can help me figures this out. 2016 has so many more verification codes, & I understand why. Please help this stressed mom out. Thanks
JA: The Financial Software Technician will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Financial Software Technician should know?
Customer: I'm at work, & can answer any questions he has for me. This is not the usual computer I use, but it is secure.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Anne replied 2 months ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Anne replied 2 months ago.

Hi

Although I rarely suggest this option, I think it may be best for your stress level to file an extension form for your son this year (Form 4868)

Extensions are for tax payers who do not have all of their paperwork (such as a W2 ) or have some other problem that keeps them from filing, such as yours.

Extensions are NOT valid for payment. Any tax due must be sent with the 4868, and you stated that he owed, so you obviously know how much, and you can (and absolutely should) include the $ amount due.

I really think that taking this option, filing an extension (with his payment) will help your stress level, and allow you time to see if you can figure out his user name for 2015.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that I am credited with my answer.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  Anne replied 2 months ago.

I see that you viewed my return, but didn't yet rate positive.

Do you have follow up questions? Anything else I can help with?