Karen Joinson
Karen Joinson, Client Support & Accountant - 15+ years
Experience:  BS Accounting & Computer Science, QB Certified ProAdvisor
96003480

Why does and payment entry show up as negative when i

Customer Question

why does and payment entry show up as negative when i produce a comparison report. it is only payment entry that is showing up that way so we i look at the comparison value it giving me a double negative
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Karen Joinson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kenton -

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question.

What Financial software are you using? Can you attach a copy of the report in question please?

Karen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quicken i have high lighted the cell

The highlight did not come through - is it the Assembly Fee Warehouse amounts?

Can you drill down to the register for the transaction in question and verify the amount has not been entered with negative amounts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already did that and there are no negative entries. yes it is the assembly fee from 2015. it is showing as a negative number when comparing it against the current your it is making it a double negative.

Yes, I do see that because the number for last year is showing negative. Ok, this is probably redundant, but can you review the category for the transactions? (i.e. click on the category from the register for one or a few (or all if not too many) transactions from the prior period and verify they are expenses and not listed as income or transfer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have already done that as well, everything is properly categorized as an expense and i have hundreds of entries and when you look at or isolate just those transaction they are all showing as negative but only in the 2015 year and just the assembly charges nothing else

Sorry - I have Quicken and have been trying to reproduce your issue. Another step to try:

You can get that result if your expense category has an income-type tax line item assigned to it.
Edit the category in Tools > Category List and examine the Tax Reporting tab.

Hi Kenton -

Were you able to verify there was no income-type tax line item assigned to the category?

Thanks,

Karen