Karen Joinson
Karen Joinson, Client Support & Accountant - 15+ years
Experience:  BS Accounting & Computer Science, QB Certified ProAdvisor
96003480

I am having difficulty loading Quicken 2016 to a new Dell

Customer Question

I am having difficulty loading Quicken 2016 to a new Dell computer via a 3rd party computer store. My e mail address and user ID is***@******.*** but this will not allow the computer store to open Quicken on the new computer and then download old files. Can you help me? Peter
JA: A combination of financial issues and software stuff sounds like a recipe for needing our Expert. You are in the right place. Is there anything else the Financial Software Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I am using Window's 10 and I also set up and/or updated my Account yesterday. I can give you my password ***** that would help.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Karen Joinson replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am so sorry for the late response. If you are still looking for help, please reply and I will setup a secure remote session and perhaps phone call if needed.

Karen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Karen,Sorry for the delay myself. I am trying to figure out why Quicken 2016 will not upload on my new Dell with Windows 10. The Dell and the program is @ Milwaukee PC (computer shop) and the service rep there says the program will not open. I opened a new account with Intuit yesterday and that gave me a new User ID:***@******.*** (same as my e mail address). I also entered a new password: @Chester1 and my new account seemed OK. I am wondering if my old account - 2007 with Intuit needs to be closed or voided or something in order for my new account to operate. Your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks Peter

Hi Peter -

To clarify, you are attempting to download Quicken 2016 to install on Windows via a third party software and your login is not working or the file will not download?

Thanks,

Karen

You can verify your Intuit user id and password *****:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

Try to sign in and if your login or password ***** not work, verify user id is correct and then reset password. If new user id does not work, try old login and reset password. Once you are signed in, you "might" be able to download Quicken 2016 file here. I say "might" because you may need to go back to third party vendor but once you can log in here, they should be able to log in as well.

Please let me know if this helped or resolved your issue or you have more questions.

Karen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Karen, I will visit Milwaukee PC (3rd party computer shop) on Monday morning and follow your advice. Hopefully we will be able to load the program. I purchased Quicken 2016 at Best Buy here in Milwaukee. Thanks Peter

Hey Peter -

If you have the Quicken 2016 cds and PC with you, we can setup secure remote assistance and/or premium service phone call and I can walk you through the sign on process if you would like. I am central time zone and am available tomorrow anytime.

Thanks.

Karen

Hey Peter -

One other tip for the Milwaukee PC company - Windows 10 has issues with older versions of Quicken (<=2014 i.e. Users of Quicken 2011 for example are running Quicken on Windows 10 and one day they log in and cannot open Quicken. They then find out there was an automatic windows 10 update and once we roll back to an earlier build, Quicken will open just fine.) I realize you are installing Quicken 2016 however the Windows 10 current update (especially the Anniversary edition) *may* be hindering efforts to install quicken. If the above steps do not work, you can 'roll' back the Windows 10 current build and try an earlier build, Here are the steps:

To do this, open the Start screen or Start menu and select Settings. Navigate to Update & security > Recovery. Click or tap the “Get started” button under “Go back to an earlier build” to uninstall the current build of Windows 10 and go back to the one you were using previously. Here is the link to the page:

http://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

Please let me know if this helps you all.

Hey Peter -

Checking in to see if you resolved your issue?

Thanks,

Karen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Karen,
I think that we are getting closer to resolving the problem. I did not realize that my wife had tried to load an older version of Quicken (2015 for Home & Business) onto my new Dell with Windows 10. My wife was using that version on her PC. When she attempted to load 2016 onto my new Dell computer with Windows 10, the system asked for my Intuit password ***** she did not know it and I was not aware of what it was also at the time ( I set the account up in 2007) and so she stopped trying to load 2016 into my new Dell PC. I think that is the core of the issue. I visited Milwaukee PC this morning and they now understand what happened and they said that they would try to resolve the issue themselves. I will be checking in with them tomorrow morning but in the meantime I received an e mail today from Intuit which gives me a confirmation code number which I assume I will need to confirm my Quicken Account. I will visit Milwaukee PC tomorrow morning be certain that my account is now correct, active and Milwaukee PC was able to open up 2016 and upload my old files. We will see. Thanks Peter

Hey Peter -

Sounds good! Please let me know, I am curious what the issue is/was.

Thanks,
Karen

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello Karen,No news is NOT GOOD NEWS. Milwaukee PC spent 1 1/2 hours last Saturday with tech's @ Intuit trying to figure out why data on a flash drive would not upload to Quicken. Program says data uploaded from Flash drive but no data there. Now MilwaukeePC is going to reload an older version of Quicken to see if that program will allow the data files to be uploaded to Quicken. No success yet and I am getting very frustrated and disgusted. $115 dollar program is going to cost me hundreds more to try to get old files uploaded to a new version of Quicken. I may go back to reconciling my bank statement by hand. Peter
Expert:  Karen Joinson replied 12 months ago.

Hi Peter -

Wow - that is extremely frustrating! You can try using QcleanUI.exe to uninstall partial files that have been installed:

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

I would expect you not to find quicken software to remove on steps 1 - 3 but then on step 4, you can use those suggestions. Once this is done, if you have the quicken CD, you can try to install yourself.

Please let me know how this goes.. also I will be happy to setup a secure remote session with you.

Thanks,

Karen