Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

I have just bought a new Windows 10 computer, bought a 2016

Customer Question
version of Quicken Deluxe...
I have just bought a new Windows 10 computer, bought a 2016 version of Quicken Deluxe (because I could not find my old disk), and successfully transferred my Quicken files from the last 10 year. All had worked fine for a few weeks. Suddenly, my wife's checking account has a number of entries missing and transferred to a "separate file", which is listed but not accessible. All the data seems to be there, as the totals are correct. How can I reverse this and re-integrate the "seperate" data back where it came from?
Fred Bode
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Financial Software
7/27/2016
Tech Support Rep: Robert M., Consultant replied 1 year ago
Robert M., Consultant

Hi, I am Rob. I am here to help you and i have a ton of quicken experience.

I have never heard of quicken doing something like what you describe.

can you give me some more details about what is missing and what the exact word for word message that you get is please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not get any message. There are just transactions missing from her checking account. I was able to look at the "Separate" accounts and they are from way back (2006 and further back), so now I have no idea what has happened.
Fred

I am still not sure that i understand the issue.

First you said that the transactions were in another file. Now you say that they are in another account. There is a big difference between the two situations. If the missing transactions are in one of the old separate accounts see below

I have given you half a few possibilities of what might be causing what i think you are describing. But i am pretty sure that i could clear this up very quickly if i could actually see what is happening and fix it for you. I am putting up an offer for remote service if you would like me to do it that way. It might save us both a lot of time and effort. Otherwise please look at what i have written below and if none of them are what has happened please at least get me a better description of exactly what transactions are missing from when and if you can find them anywhere else where that would be.

But what might be even simpler is that the transactions are there but you just haven't sorted the register correctly. Try clicking on the actual word "DATE" in the title bar above the date column. That will sort the entries in date order so its easier to find them. You should also check any filters that might be hiding the transactions. It should say "all transactions all dates"

yet another possibility is that these are new transactions and the register got switched to require that you accept new transactions before putting them in the register. These will typically be found in the window right below the entries in the register.

If they are in another account in the quicken, that was a fairly common occurrence if you are downloading from the bank. What happens is that something changes slightly at the bank and quicken did not recognize which account to put the transactions in. So it creates a new account and drops them there. Usually the way to deal with that is to keep the new account and either copy the transactions from the old account to the new one ( you can do that by selecting them all and right clicking and select move to account" OR to just leave it the way it is and start using the new account after putting in an adjustment entry to make the balance correct.

I would guess that this happened some time in the past and you used method 2. In that case you would want to either copy the old transactions to the correct account and remove the adjustment entry or just leave it the way it is as the balance is correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rob,
Sorry it has been so long. My wife wanted to try and fix it herself. No luck. Here is what I have learned in the meantime. The "separate" files are very old, with entries in 2006 and before. Therefore, they do not effect anything current, and I can ignore them. The problems is with the current checking account file. It has somehow gotten set to only show "split" transactions. All the other transactions seem to be there, as the totals (current money in the bank) are correct.In the top "settings" row, we have set: All Dates - Any Type - All Transactions - Reset and tried to Reset but still can only see "split" transactions. Any ideas on how to get them all visible? Fred
Robert M., Consultant