Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Highly experienced in professional tax products, Microsoft Office - power Excell user - as well as Windows, Linux & iOS operating systems.
1929974

I am still using Quicken 2006 because I made up a complete

Customer Question

I am still using Quicken 2006 because I made up a complete new list of categories and I did not want to lose them. My files go back to 2006 and needless to say, it has become a large file. What I want to do is to just break out 2016 and to be able to work with only that. I fear messing up the account balances. Is there a way to isolate 2016 only?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi - have you used the archive function?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Archiving copies all your transactions that are dated earlier than this year and places them in a separate data file. Your current file is untouched, and you can continue to use it. The advantage of this method is that you can create reports and graphs that include several years' worth of information.

...

Then, creating a new year file saves a copy of your current data file and then removes transactions that are dated earlier than this year

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I can pull up the instructions for this from out knowledge base, if you're intrested

...

But this should do exactly what you're asking for.

..

Let me know...I'll be here

..

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, (concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law), an MBA, (specialization in finance & tax), as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the suggested solution 3 times and it did not work! Copied the entire file rather than segregating only 2016.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at this ... If this still doesn't help, I'll opt out and see if someone else here can help

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Archive a file

• In the Current Data File area, click Do nothing.
  • In the Archive File area, in the Give this archive file a name and location field, change the Quicken-generated file name and location for the archive file.(Optional)
    • Where does Quicken store the archive file?
  • In the This archive file will contain transactions up to and including field, change the date shown if you want to archive transactions from only part of last year. (Optional)
  • Click OK.
  • In the File to Use area, click Current File.
  • Click OK.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Then on the "create a new year" file ...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
  • In the Current Data File area, click the I only want transactions in my current data file up to and including this date field.
  • In the date field, change the date from January 1 of this year to have the new file begin on another date. (Optional)
  • In the Archive File area, in the Give this archive file a name and location field, change the Quicken-generated file name and location for the copy of the current data file. (Optional)
  • Click OK.
  • In the File to Use area, click File for New Year.
  • Click OK.
  • Check your registers to see that the old transactions were removed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still does not work. I get the whole file. Thanks for the try!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still have been unable to make it work. I have performed it several times and it does not just give me the current year. Will continue trying on Tuesday.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'll keep looking as well to see if I can find anything else.

...

… I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

...

But again, I will keep looking and do let me know if you have any success ...