How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert M. Your Own Question
Robert M.
Robert M., Consultant
Category: Financial Software
Satisfied Customers: 3071
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
Type Your Financial Software Question Here...
Robert M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can someone help me as I go along with TurboTax questions. I

Customer Question

Can someone help me as I go along with TurboTax questions. I have 2 rental properties and I flipped one. Right now I'm not sure about MACRS Convention. I use to live in a home 9 years ago but have been renting it out since.Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Financial Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TurboTax is asking me: Amount of Depreciation Taken in Prior Years (not including any section 179 deduction or first year special depreciation allowance deduction). I don't know. The purchase price is Auto Populating.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

When did you start renting the property? Did you claim the house you flipped on your last year return? Rentals are not allowed to take any sec 179 or special depreciation. You will have to use mid month convention for your rental and for your flip property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eva:I have my information summarized. Can I pay you by the hour to walk me through Turbo Tax?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, my company uses Lacerte and I don't have a new version of Turbo Tax at home. I can tell you how it should be reported and where but I cannot walk you through Turbo Tax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you use TeamViewer and see my computer as I enter the numbers?
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 1 year ago.

I can think of quite a few reasons why you would be better off, and likely pay just as much, by simply hiring someone to do your taxes as opposed to attempting this. So, that's my advice. I'll be opting out now in case someone wants to entertain this idea. Good luck!