Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I have Quicken Home and Business 2010. How do I turn the

Customer Question

I have Quicken Home and Business 2010.
How do I turn the "Accounts" into "Business" accounts instead of "personal"? I set them up wrong initially and it is making it very hard for the accountant as I can't get the business reports he needs.
I plan to update to 2016 but I need the data corrected first probably before I transfer over.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Jason M. Tyra, CPA replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joan:

In Quicken, if you right click the account, then select "Edit/Delete Account", then the "Display Options" tab, there should be an option marked "Account Intent." Changing the intent from personal to business will cause the business income and expense to appear on the appropriate reports.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of this information is correct.
When I right clicked on the Account , there was only an "Edit" option not "Edit/Delete". When I clicked on edit there was no "Display Options" Tab and no option called "Account Intent". No way to change anything.

Hi Joan:

Sorry this didn't help. I'll opt out to give someone else an opportunity to answer your question.

Be advised: the software vendor (Intuit) no longer supports the 2010 version of Quicken. If you can't get a satisfactory answer here, then you may need to upgrade before seeking assistance from Intuit.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I am not at all sure that you can.

it would be under tools / account ( or ctrl A) / edit the account / general tab

But my experience with quicken is that you can not change account types once they are created

You would have to deactivate any online capability to the account

create a new business account

highlight all of the transactions in the old account ( you can click on one and hold the shift key down while scrolling with the up or down arrow )

right click on them

select move to account

select the new business account to move them to

delete the old account

i strongly suggest making a backup before doing it.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I can log in remotely to work on it with you if you want to pay an additional fee

but i cant do it till some time tomorrow ( friday)