Financial Software

Financial software questions? Ask IT support for answers ASAP

I only use QB to enter my business and personal info at the…

Customer Question
I only use QB to...
I only use QB to enter my business and personal info at the end of the year for taxes. I am using QB Pro Edition 2010. I have a newer PC, but kept this old PC just for accounting. The old PC is ready to die, so I'll need to migrate my data to my current PC and believe purchase a newer version of QB. How do I get the data off the old PC and what should I upgrade to?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Financial Software
3/15/2016
Tech Support Rep: Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi Loretta:

You can save your QuickBooks file as a backup to a USB drive or burn it to a DVD. After that, you should be able to import it to a newer version.

I would recommend that you upgrade to the newest version of QuickBooks. Intuit, the software vendor, has a policy whereby older software is not supported after a certain number of years. Thus, upgrading to the latest version will give you maximum time before the software is no longer supported (if you don't plan on upgrading regularly in the future).

One caveat: you may have a problem upgrading from the 2010 version straight to the 2016 version. I would suggest that you check with the software vendor to make sure your backup is compatible with the version of QuickBooks that you ultimately decide to buy.