PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  Have used almost every software package available.
64119565

My quickbooks file doesn't save to hard drive, it saves to a

Customer Question

My quickbooks file doesn't save to hard drive, it saves to a USB drive. I must have set up it to do this but I want to change to the computer hard drive. How do I do it.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience. I just got to a desktop with QuickBooks.

QuickBooks sets a save trail to the last place you sent a backup. A windows XP version of QuickBooks does allow you to direct where to save files. It's QuickBooks, so it's hidden a bit.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Open your copy of QuickBooks. It will open your most recent open file.

Under the File menu, open "save copy or backup". You'll be given choices of the type of file to save. Choose backup copy. Hit Next.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Then select local backup. Hit next.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

The next screen allows you to specify EXACTLY where you want backups to be stored. This will be the location the software will look in the future to save your file. Hit Browse, ans you can direct QuickBooks to the folder of your current file.

You might consider using a desktop folder for your QuickBooks business file, just for ease of location, with a backup in a folder you choose. Just a suggestion.

Hope that gets it straight for you. If so, positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry....I know how to backup files. But, the program does automatic downloads on its own, and to some reason it is to my USB drive. If I take my USB drive out..quickbooks will not load. the copy is called for example: Robertson.QWB. Type: Quickbooks Comany File. When you back-up a copy it is actuay called Robertson.QWB (Backup October 22,2015 10:41 pm).QBB - Type: Quickbooks Company Backup File. I will copy the desktop and see if that works though.
Thank You
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You missed what I was doing. By resetting where you a backup, the software will look to that location for all file related storage and saves.