Financial Software

Financial Software Questions? Ask IT Support for Answers ASAP

Financial Software

This problem ocured when we updated to Quickbooks Premier

Customer Question
Professional Services Edition 2015. I have...
This problem ocured when we updated to Quickbooks Premier Professional Services Edition 2015.
I have a company file that appears to have a duplicate "CLASS" field. So when i go to filter a report on a class, in the "Filter by" box, "CLASS" is listed twice. When I click on either one, i only get a text box, instead of the class drop down box.
Researching online shows me this is the case when I have a custom field that duplicates a default field, such as Class. However, i do not know how the default field was created and not sure how to delete it. Thank you for your help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Financial Software
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2015
Tech Support Rep: Angie Russell, Bookkeeper replied 2 years ago
Angie Russell
Angie Russell, Bookkeeper

Hi I hope I am able to answer your question effectively.

In QB, across the top, where you see "File, Edit, View, etc" click on "Lists" Then "Class Lists" A list of your classes will appear. At the bottom of this page there is a button that says "Class" click that and a drop down will give you options to create a new class, delete a class, edit a class, etc.

If nothing has been coded to the "default" that QB created on its own, then you can simply delete it. If something has been entered using that class, you can try merging the two classes, to do this you click "edit" and rename the first class the exact same name as the one you want to use, Qb will generally pop up a message that says this class already exists, do you want to merge them, if you get that message simply click yes and your problem should be solved.

Some people have said they don't get this message, that they have to manually change everything coded to the incorrect class to the correct one then delete the incorrect class.

Either way this should solve your issue with running the report. Once you have the report set up the way you like it, you can click memorize so you don't have to do it everytime.

Actually, that doesn't answer my question. I understand how to create and delete individual classes. My problem is that when I go to filter data for a report, my option to filter by "CLASS" appears twice. Normally, it only appears once. Normally when I select CLASS, i get a dropdown that allows me to sort by one or a multiple of classes. The problem is that CLASS is duplicated in my filter list, indicating that I have duplicate CLASS elements in my database somewhere. I need to delete the duplicate. Apparently you can create custom "fields" and that somehow a custom field called CLASS was created. Because there is a duplicate field called "CLASS", there is no dropdown, and hand entering the class (as shown in the attachment) doesn't return any data. So, the question i have is how do i delete the duplicate CUSTOM field named "CLASS"?

The picture clarified, I'm sorry I misunderstood. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to duplicate your issue so I could tell you how to fix it and I can't seem to do it. I'm going to opt out so another expert can look at it and provide you the answer you need.

Tech Support Rep: Robert M., Consultant replied 2 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

try this first

file / file utilities / verify

if there is some error in the file that should fix it.

if it doesnt than we can try to find where the extra class is. But please try the above first and let me know if it worked.

Robert M., Consultant