R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience:  A member of the Intuit Ask a Tax Expert team and 10 years as QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor.
63817126

I finally have the info I need to prepare my tax return. The

Customer Question

I finally have the info I need to prepare my tax return for 2014. The program loaded fine, but it doesn't retrieve data from the 2013 return, which I successfully completed April 13, 2014. My computer's directory shows TT 2013 using 183 KB dated 9/27/15. It also shows a file named w turbotax 1040 dix 20130101 dated 2/16/14.
What next?
Category: Financial Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The application is listed in the computer index as w_turbotax 1040 2013.0100 dated 2/16/14. It occupies 92,439 KB.I suspect I inadvertently erased the return after printing it. Can you send me a copy? In addition to all the information I entered, it contains deferred deductions that I need for the 2014 return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question about TurboTax.

In order for the program to properly import the data from 2013, you must be sure you have the data file still on the same PC. The data file has an extension name of .TAX2013 All other files are part of the program and are not relevant.

No, we cannot send you a copy of your return. Although we are not part of Intuit or TurboTax, I can tell you that TurboTax does not store your data files if you prepared your tax return on your own PC. The only files TurboTax would have is if you used TurboTax Online to prepare your return AND you paid for the return prior to the end of the 2014 filing season. If you prepare your return on your own PC, the file is only stored locally, EVEN IF YOU ELECTRONICALLY FILE the tax return itself.

If you do not find the .tax2013 file on your computer, there is no way to recover the data from prior years; you would need to rekey the data into your 2014 return manually.

Now, if you do have the 2013 file, the BEST way to import it is to start in the 2014 program, and START A NEW tax return. The first option will be to import the prior year data. Once you pass this step with a new file, the program will NOT let you go back to this step. This is a security feature to prevent you from overwriting newer data and not realizing it.

I hope this helps you get your return completed. If I have successfully answered your question, please take a moment to rate the answer so that I may receive credit for assisting you. If you still need assistance, PLEASE do not rate until you are satisfied, and I will work with you to find a solution.