Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

QuickBooks Premier Contractor 2014 Edition question

Customer Question

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Angie Russell replied 1 year ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error that appears when entering a vendor bill in QuickBooks Premier Contractor 2014 edition: Job Costing-Expense without a Customer Job...Job Costing Information You have entered an expense without assigning it to a Customer Job. If this expense was for a particular job, then QB cannot track all the expenses for the job. Do you want to record this expense without a Customer Job? Yes or NoThis is an intermittent problem with one customer only. The customer name is ***** ***** "billable" is checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just attached a screen capture that as the error message on it.

Thank you! The screenshot did help!

I'm not 100% sure...but I think that if you erase the entries you have under "items" and switch to the "expenses" tab and enter the same thing, that the error may go away.

I can't see the customer information because it's behind the error...but one other thing that might be causing this is if your customer is both a "customer" and a "vendor" in Quickbooks. If this is the case, go to the customer job section, and erase the customer name, type the first letter of the customer name and look at the drop down and be sure that you are choosing the name classified as "customer".

Sometimes QB glitches if a company is both a customer and a vendor.

If neither of these options solve your problem, I will opt out and allow another professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This company uses income/expense accounts for their subcontractor invoices. Funny thing is it happens only occasionally, even though entry is consistent. One bill for trash removal went through just fine, the next didn't work. I did check to make sue, customer is unique from vendor.

Unfortunately I'm filling in while the rest of the office is at lunch at the moment and I can't take a phone call, I work in a tax office and people are streaming in and out at various times. I will opt out so another expert can provide a solution for you.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist. :)

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still looking for a solution! I am not currently in the office, but will be back there on Monday the 5th if you want to wait until then. If you know what to do before that, you can just reply here. Thanks!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

a couple of suggestions

1. try running a verify and rebuild under file / file utilities

2. if that doesnt do it than there is something different about that customer and that service and you just have to go through and compare it. It sounds like it thinks you are doing job costing which means assigning each sale to a particular job. if that job wasnt set up or was fully invoiced and closed it will give you that message. It may be this customer is not really on a job costing basis but either the customer or that service was set up for job costing which is confusing the quickbooks.

I will be around on monday the 5th or afterwards, if you want to pay a little more i can log in remotely and look at it with you at that time if you cant find the problem yourself. we can talk on the phone and you can explain exactly how the business is running and i can see whats going on and whether it reflects that properly in quickbooks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is an intermittent problem which makes it even more frustrating! One time a vendor invoice is taken for a certain item, the next time it won't. Maybe somehow the file got corrupted, so I'll try the rebuild on Monday. I'll let you know, thanks!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

if it is truly intermittent for no reason than the rebuild has a good chance of working. But i suspect that it isnt really random its something set a way that isnt quite the way you are doing business.

Are you doing job costing ? That is where the error is coming from. It cant find an open job to apply the charge to. so if the item is set as a job costing item it might be ok if you apply it to a customer with an open job but flags an error if the customer you charge it to does not have one or is not set for job costing. If i had a better idea of what exactly it was and what the customers and venders looked like i might be able to figure it out pretty quickly. But try the rebuild and look around a bit if that doesnt work and we can talk on monday if you cant work it out.